litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

My Lotus Sounds Like A Tractor!

Thomas Harborne

Been down to Mattys this morning, they had a quick check over. And reckon my choice of oil could be the cause, they said it sounded exactly like tappet noise. Even though I've replaced them he said the oil will make a big differnce. Currently have 5w40 Gulf Racing. He recommends a 10w40 fully synthetic. So ill will get my hands of some Mobil tomorrow and see what that does.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thomas - I'm sure I watched/listened to a video you posted up on Seloc and I can't believe a different oil could suppress the tappet noise on that video. I will await the results of the oil change with interest!!

Good Luck.

Mark

Thomas - I'm sure I watched/listened to a video you posted up on Seloc and I can't believe a different oil could suppress the tappet noise on that video. I will await the results of the oil change with interest!!

Good Luck.

Mark

Who knows Meister, fingers crossed though. Much cheaper option than a plan B! Will get it done tomorrow and update. Cheers

Thomas that would beg the question. What did you seal the cam ladder to head with when you changed the tappets?

Used some Loctite that HPE recommended. Ive had the cam cover off again after this so i now that no oil ways are blocked and they're is no leaks. The cam cover gasjet was also replaced.

The only way hydraulic tappets can make a noise are the following. The ball bearing is not seating properly so they cannot pump up solid to the cam. They are not getting enough / any oil pressure to pump up. im doubtful if a different oil will quieten them down much.

Thomas the only thing i can suggest is checking the tappets are solid. On hydraulic tappets the ball keeps the tappet pumped up to the cam shaft. Remove the cam cover and spark plugs. On hydraulic tappets the tappet bucket should touch the cam when the cam nose is at 180 degrees to the bucket. Get the cam nose at 180 degrees and check for a gap. If there is a gap it will tap as it rotates back to the nose.

Do this on all the tappets. Also see if you can squash any of the tappets down?

Thomas the only thing i can suggest is checking the tappets are solid. On hydraulic tappets the ball keeps the tappet pumped up to the cam shaft. Remove the cam cover and spark plugs. On hydraulic tappets the tappet bucket should touch the cam when the cam nose is at 180 degrees to the bucket. Get the cam nose at 180 degrees and check for a gap. If there is a gap it will tap as it rotates back to the nose.

Do this on all the tappets. Also see if you can squash any of the tappets down?

As expected, oil change hasn't solved the noise. Wishful thinking! So like you say Martin to check if there is a gap, if there is no gap then what? I know all the tappets can be squashed as i checked this when i replaced them. Thinking i might just find a garage to carryout a rebuild. Can't see any other solution because i can't enjoy the car as it as the moment.

Thomas, there should be no gap? The tappet should pump right up to the round part of the cam. You will be able to squash new tappets as they are not filled with oil. However once installed they should become solid shortly after the car has been started.

Thomas, there should be no gap? The tappet should pump right up to the round part of the cam. You will be able to squash new tappets as they are not filled with oil. However once installed they should become solid shortly after the car has been started.

Yeah thats what i mean if there is a gap then how would that be resolved? Is that just a case of the tappets not being filled?

Archived