litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Upgraded Toe Link Kits For S2 Elise

DeanB

Hey Gaz,

Your kit does and is indeed is stunning I would go for one myself but it was at the time the cost that put me off.

When I looked into the cost and specs of other components available it was a no brainer to try the Mcgills components.

I have looked into the play I have in the toe links and it isn't actually the Rose joint that has play, I used the 1/2inch version which required the 1/2 to M10 adapter (aluminium) which has given and this is the part that has play.

I may in the future have the necessary funds to get your kit but at the moment this is fine for now.

As mentioned is there a web site coming?

Jode.

Hi Jode

Being worked on as we speak but you can find all the stuff including S1 (and the new S2 very soon) HP fuel pumps on Dave's site.

If you want more info please U2U or mail me and I will send you the latest spec sheet but be warned it is very tempting  :)

That doesn't sound good Jode, if the material has already given to the extent it can move then you are (were) on the last legs before failure.

Once it can move the peak forces increase dramatically as you are effectively hammering with the available slack.

TBH it doesn't sound like a good use of normal grade aluminium, can you not get steel versions?

If you went from 1/2" to M10 that must mean the aluminium component is fully stressed? i.e not fitted internally as a bush with steel sandwiching it? but in-line, i.e steel tube then the ally bit then the rod end???

If so, you really need a re-think, we are currently looking at re-introducing the outer adjuster and this will have the same architecture as I think yours is, but the minimum diameter is M14 and it will be made of 7068, significantly stronger than 7075 which is probably twice as strong as normal grades.

If you send me a picture we can discuss off forum if you prefer?

:)

Gaz

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gaz how does it compare weight wise to the standard s2 set up?

Not exactly sure of the weight of the OE setup as we are in Malaysia and I don't have access to anything, but the kit is about 1.9kg all up from memory, possibly less now the stainless has been replaced with Aluminium.

Pictures please fellas?  I have just fitted the EP ones....

Of?

I was keen to see images of alternative toe links fitted Gaz. I'm not completely familiar with the engineering so wondered what the differences were?  I had the Lotus Motorsport toe links fitter to my S2, which certainly looked the part and did a fantastic job on a quick track car (well I thought so smile.png ) and wondered also whether a brace bar was generally necessary?

My S1 Exige presently...

IMG_20151030_121523_zpsyteklttd.jpg

I was keen to see images of alternative toe links fitted Gaz. I'm not completely familiar with the engineering so wondered what the differences were?  I had the Lotus Motorsport toe links fitter to my S2, which certainly looked the part and did a fantastic job on a quick track car (well I thought so smile.png ) and wondered also whether a brace bar was generally necessary?

My S1 Exige presently...

IMG_20151030_121523_zpsyteklttd.jpg

Can you contact us on spitfire.engineering.com and we will send you the full spec.

It's likely had I have known about these in the first place I would have placed the order with Dave. He's a top bloke. It won't be today, I'm ploughing on through the build and will look to make changes should I need to towards the end.

It's likely had I have known about these in the first place I would have placed the order with Dave. He's a top bloke. It won't be today, I'm ploughing on through the build and will look to make changes should I need to towards the end.

Morning, I wasn't trying to sell you anything! we were just replying to your request for more information.

The spec sheet is about 6 pages with tons of images.

No I understand that but I'm asking what the differnce is, hence likely to make a purchase. Don't take this the wrong way but you seem quick to respond to Jody but not me. I'm intersted in layman's terms, I don't ever read the manual before I make a purchase. I realise a forum is not a place for a manufacture to justify there product but if you're going to surely it's horses for courses. Anyway, this wasn't the intentional direction of my original post on this or the other thread, I was actually interested in the end use observations so let's leave it there.

No I understand that but I'm asking what the differnce is, hence likely to make a purchase. Don't take this the wrong way but you seem quick to respond to Jody but not me. I'm intersted in layman's terms, I don't ever read the manual before I make a purchase. I realise a forum is not a place for a manufacture to justify there product but if you're going to surely it's horses for courses. Anyway, this wasn't the intentional direction of my original post on this or the other thread, I was actually interested in the end use observations so let's leave it there.

Morning

Certainly not trying to ignore anyone, sorry if it came across that way.

The response to Jody was to highlight a generic issue with DIY fitments as they are two fold, firstly the pricing of anything from a toe link to a toaster is almost meaningless without a referece to longevity, a £1 toaster would not be considered cheap if it stopped after the first five slices of toast.

Far more important is the safety issue, Jody mentioned the adapter had started to fail and although I have not seen the images yet I suspect the component he mentioned is fully stressed and total failure would lead to the toe link failing. There is certainly no M10 capability with aluminium (even the 7068 we use) under tensile loads in this aplication.

The reason for not answering you directly is that the first post was to ask the forum "guys" so for an advertiser to supply this information could be considered a little blatent.

The second request was specifically aimed at Alan, again not good protocol to jump on this.

The larger problem is the question itself as it asks for a direct comparison between commercial offerings, although it is fine for forum members to openly share views it definately is not acceptable for an advertiser to do this on open forum (unless provoked  :)  )

To highlight the advantages I think is OK, to point out failings of other stuff by comparing is not IMHO.

The spec sheet offered is not the manual but a descriptive specification of the kit and how it is built, it is way too long for a "neutral" post   :)

Apologies if you thought it was a personal slight, I can assure you it was not.

Gaz

Jonny,

I have not taken any photo's of my split fire install, but Dan has just added some to his post over on SELOC.

http://forums.seloc.org/viewthread.php?tid=351310&page=42

Should give you a good idea on the difference. Take note of the extra thickness on the inner brackets. These really are well made. 

Archived