litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Classic Mini

Chris_edeson

Hi all

Not lotus related but asking for some advice.

Anybody owned a classic mini? Been looking on classifieds for a little weekend toy and there seems to be some really good examples around 3-5k

Very simple little things they seem and really fancy one! Any thoughts greatly received

Chris

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

no personal experience however you should buy a honda'd one as honda makes everything better

Lol there was a honda'd one I saw on a car group last night! I tagged scatty in it! He said he knows of a place up Notts way that puts bike engines in them!

Gotta be a bike engined mini, il try and find the place...

Am I making this up (I know I'm not) but a few years back we had a trip to a pub by the river in Nottingham (can't remember where) and there was a chap there in this modded old school mini and he had a Volvo lump in the back... It was absolutely mint....

The pub was in Gunthorpe.... Lol....

I think the company is called Zcars....

What's not to like..... :-)

Scatty, that Mini could have been my mates. We fitted a Volvo T4 turbo lump in the rear using Z cars kit. Took us a year to build and was featured in Mini World Magazine.

I have owned several Minis, 1275GT, Limited Edition Racing Green, 998 Cooper and a van (should have kept it). Always wanted a pickup. Done a Z Cars conversation with my mate and fitted a 1700cc Allegro engine in a Clubman, plus other mods too.

If I had the room, id restore a 998 Cooper.

Pick one that has sound body work. A Series engines are a doddle to work on and sound great with a single Peco upswept or Rc40 exhaust. Newer ones had fuel injection. Check the hydroelastic suspension is sound.

Fish, it must have been your mate. You were there as well....

It really was a cracking bit of kit....

I think there's a vid of that Elise Dean on here, I think Russ posted it, I've seen it recently....

Fish, it must have been your mate. You were there as well....

It really was a cracking bit of kit....

I think there's a vid of that Elise Dean on here, I think Russ posted it, I've seen it recently....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNCq7DN2eks

Love this but that shifter would annoy the hell out of me..... Can only imagine a 13k upshift, pulling back and seeing a rod exit the side of the clam.

Ha ha ha ha, your right, I think I'd be wanting to pull back as well....

I suppose you'd get used to it. And then you'd let Paul have a go round Flux bend and it'd be game over..... ;-)

A friend had a limited edition mini flame. It came with a 998cc engine but was quickly swapped for an MG metro 1.3, gas flowed head, twin SU carbs, kent cam. Its was pretty quick and handled like a go cart, he eventually blew it up. 

Swapped the engine for an MG Metro turbo unit, changed the cam, pistons, turbo, head gas flowed and fitted a sierra cosworth intercooler and dump valve. Made about 130bhp, now that felt rapid! unfortunately he crashed it.

Old Mini's, had loads.  They handle and steer like nothing much else but in a good way. Ride quality is horrible. Driving position is like a small bus.  Safety does not exist. Very simple to work on for the mechanics and a MG Metro engine is a useful boost in power. If they have discs and a servo they can stop as well.  Biggest problem is rust, they rust everywhere.  You can go in for a cup of tea and come out and find new rust spots.  I would like one again but I do not fancy the continued maintenance.

Places that rust: wings, subframes, sills, doors, windscreen surround, floor, boot, roof seams, external seams, bumpers, rear panels, front 1/4 panels..............lots more............ash tray, boot floor.  Never had the roof itself or the ignition key go rusty.

Old Mini's, had loads. They handle and steer like nothing much else but in a good way. Ride quality is horrible. Driving position is like a small bus. Safety does not exist. Very simple to work on for the mechanics and a MG Metro engine is a useful boost in power. If they have discs and a servo they can stop as well. Biggest problem is rust, they rust everywhere. You can go in for a cup of tea and come out and find new rust spots. I would like one again but I do not fancy the continued maintenance.

Places that rust: wings, subframes, sills, doors, windscreen surround, floor, boot, roof seams, external seams, bumpers, rear panels, front 1/4 panels..............lots more............ash tray, boot floor. Never had the roof itself or the ignition key go rusty.

Thanks for the info mate :-)

Dan Webster is your man if you want to know about minis

Thanks Sheldon I will drop him a line.

Archived