litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Nlc - Lister Bell Stratos Build Thread

Dr H

Well, I'd be honoured and privileged for that drive in it Leigh, I'm so thinking I need a little six cylinder action in my life.

I'm really chuffed that you're paying attention to detail with it, it'll reap rewards later. I wonder if you've considered doing a photo diary of the build? What are the forums you've used for advice?

• Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I'd be honoured and privileged for that drive in it Leigh, I'm so thinking I need a little six cylinder action in my life.

I'm really chuffed that you're paying attention to detail with it, it'll reap rewards later. I wonder if you've considered doing a photo diary of the build? What are the forums you've used for advice?

I agree Kurt... Must be about time I looked after that s1 for you for a while.

Stunning build so far Leigh

Last update of 2016. Not that there is much to update!

Electrical work due the other weekend was postponed until the new year.

Started to alter the fiat x1/9 targa catches that are used for the body catches on the Stratos.

Remove pins (2 circlips and 3rd pin is riveted so needs drilling out).

31876560636_4823c548de.jpg

Cut down fixing plate

31104722083_467c6d0f5c.jpg

Shape top

31104890983_2a1e02fc25.jpg

31541171240_8333ea1285.jpg

Remove 'stud' in casting

31074329344_31296de2ac.jpg

Drill new fixing holes so you have 2. Will have to find fixings with slightly smaller head for the one at the end, as the hole is so close.

31766856652_f9b0a50f1a.jpg

So you end up with this type of thing:

31105344503_68dc64bb59.jpg

Need to get new pins made in stainless, and some replacement stainless springs and then I can put it all together.

Bought a set of original and new Fiat 850 inner door handle pulls from a fellow builder. Quality is typical 70s Fiat so i might get them re-plated.

31885916961_5f68e30438.jpg

Set of brand new door 'spoons' to complete - from the USA.

32003075855_3c448918ff.jpg

31193424553_8423d044de.jpg

Just before Christmas Darren at Alitech sent me this video showing that the ITB manifolds were on the machine cool.gif

https://www.flickr.com/gp/16535643@N05/3x56g1

Hopefully 2017 will means lots more progress when I get the engine back.

Yep, but I'm boring and stayed in. Work wasn't done yesterday just bored last night so decided to post about it.

My days of partying on New Year's eve are long gone!

Progress will be slow over the next 6 odd weeks as I have 2 snowboarding trips coming up, mu son's birthday weekend etc.

Mind you in the meantime Darren at Alitech has been working his magic.....yes.gif

31328418903_bc0b5612e4_c.jpg

Progress will be slow over the next 6 odd weeks as I have 2 snowboarding trips coming up, mu son's birthday weekend etc.

Mind you in the meantime Darren at Alitech has been working his magic.....yes.gif

31328418903_bc0b5612e4_c.jpg

blush.png blush.pngblush.png  simply stunning Leigh , I know how much work goes into making something like that but what a result.  

I have hundreds of photos Kurt, will need to order them in some way at some point. I did send a load to a French guy who is trying to put together a manual for French builders.

I've been using the Stratosec form for some advice as this is where most of the build threads are. I've also used Seloc for technical advice as there doesn't seem to be too much on the Stratosec site. Apart form that the occasional delve into the odd Alfa Forum for stuff on engines and gearboxes.

Best advice and help has come form going to see Lister Bell and speaker to another builder local to me. This is his car - just needs to go through IVA now I think.

32020914121_43c87e4a83_c.jpg

31329372283_a6159ac93f_c.jpg

32139435785_f26bed22a7_c.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Any updates Leigh?

Not really tbh. In Norway this week snowboarding and not drinking lots of beer as it's £12 a pint!!

Engine crank and flywheel now balanced, just waiting for the rods to come back to the builder.

Wiring guy coming back on the 12th Feb to finish off the main chassis wiring. Can’t do anything on the engine until it’s in the car.

Off to Lister Bell next week to pick up a couple of interior bits for pre-fitting so I can get the position of the starter button etc. correct. Will also be discussing the whole interior and placing an order so I can get it trimmed whilst I'm waiting for other stuff to happen.

• 4 weeks later...

No real pictures to show but some sort of progress.

Engine due in 'a couple of weeks'......bottom end all together apparently.

Manifolds and throttle linkages coming along. Darren has now designed the linkage system and shouldn't be too long before it's all machined up.

32677462180_b8685239dc_b.jpg

Went to LB today and ordered all the bodywork. Grp4 'round arch' body, boot spoiler, chin spoiler, roof spoiler, roof duct and also a 4 lamp nose pod. Like this:

lancia-stratos-at-the-ingliston-revival-

Not totally sure whether i will ever fit it but I'll get it sprayed at the same time as the body, so it's an option.

Also ordered the interior. Stradale dash like the one in the original road car:

Website-25-of-70--b6083ecc4bbe4622910544

Door cards and the massive door pockets that are designed to take a crash helmet. A unique Stratos feature?

1006.jpg

The plan is to dry fit the engine when it arrives. Connect up all the coolant system pipes, exhaust etc and get the engine loom made. Then pull it out and send the chassis to have the body pre-fitted. This makes sure everything lines up properly, holes are cut for all the lights and stuff like body catches fitted. Then it will be removed and send for paint.

Whilst that's off being painted the final engine fit can be done and the car mapped - if it all works OK blink.png  . Then body on and trim the interior.

Sounds easy doesn't it? laugh.png

Archived