litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

S1 Vs S2 Value....

jonnyfox

In the green S1 corner we have.....

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/lotus/exige-s1/lotus-exige-s1-----------------2001/4713060

And

In the grey S2 corner we have.....

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/lotus/exige-s2/240-cup-track-spec/4742439

A little more than interesting these days, which is the better value?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2 cars looking at different markets really?  The S1 has taken on a classic status and the value reflects that.  But anyone who buys that is going to be focused on its value, unlikely to "use" it.  The S2 is going to be bought by someone who is going to use it on track, its faster than the S1 and better spec'd.  

As for the value - they're both over the top / over priced in my opinion.  The S1 about £6k and the S2 about £10k!   So if I had to spend about £35k on one of those two it would be the S1 as that is the least over priced  :)   But financially I wouldn't be happy with either at that price.   For £35k I'd want a low mileage, late model S2 Exige, something special edition like the RGB

I believe the S2 would be slower, I know a similar car with the same kit that weighs 940kg!  Every mod has added weight to a standard car.  200kg more than the S1.  Mark have you driven an Exige S1?  I only ask as I hadn't driven an S1 at all until I drove a Sport 160 around the Kielder Forest one evening and obviously my own S1 Exige. For me there is no contest, the S1 offers a by nicer driving experience, it is pure, properly so.  And I of course think the S1 value is spot on laugh.png

Agreed. I've been fortunate enough to own both S1 and S2 Exiges N/A's and Supercharged. I went from an 09 S with the 260 upgrade to the S1 Exige I have now and I wouldn't swap back. It's probably something to do with the fact that it has its own personality!

The only issue I see which I've commented before is the non standard colour on the S1. This might affect the possibility of getting the £36k asking price.

I believe the S2 would be slower, I know a similar car with the same kit that weighs 940kg!  Every mod has added weight to a standard car.  200kg more than the S1.  Mark have you driven an Exige S1?  I only ask as I hadn't driven an S1 at all until I drove a Sport 160 around the Kielder Forest one evening and obviously my own S1 Exige. For me there is no contest, the S1 offers a by nicer driving experience, it is pure, properly so.  And I of course think the S1 value is spot on laugh.png

I did get to drive an S1 Exige, a few times in fact as a friend had one.  They certainly have character, fantastic car but I preferred the drive of my then Elise S2 and the Exige S2 I have now.  Although being completely honest there wasn't much in it, but you wouldn't expect there to be...... if you are being completely honest, taking out any bias :) Most differences are going to be down to the individual setup of each car, dampers, allignment, brakes etc.  I would be more than happy to own both, the S1 Exige has the S2 on looks, but its not as fast and I prefer the Toyota lump.  I also like that you can go topless in the S2 and the fact getting in and out is just a challenge not a near impossible feat! I also prefer the interior in the S2.  

Bottom line, take the 190BHP lump out of the S1, stick in a Honda SC or Audi, I'd have the S1 Exige every time.  So I suppose that means in my eyes what makes the S2 pip the S1 to the post is that Rover K Series lump, not criticising it, loved the one I had in my Elise, just can't get me head around buying a £30-£40k car with one!  :)  

Just to add, if money was no object, if I had millions, I'd definitely have an S1 Exige sat in the garage....... it would be alongside an S2 Exige though :)  

Agree about the colour although it does look rather good in the flesh.

I love any loud colour chrome orange, krypton green etc...I'm just thinking from a collector/investor perspective on the sale price. Saying that though someone mentioned £35k for a yellow S1 with 25k miles sold very recently. It was pretty basic spec from what I remember on Autotrader ad so if that's correct then the £36k is a possibility.

From a personal view I hope it sells for more than £36k!!! Climbing prices can only be a positive :)

I did get to drive an S1 Exige, a few times in fact as a friend had one.  They certainly have character, fantastic car but I preferred the drive of my then Elise S2 and the Exige S2 I have now.  Although being completely honest there wasn't much in it, but you wouldn't expect there to be...... if you are being completely honest, taking out any bias smile.png Most differences are going to be down to the individual setup of each car, dampers, allignment, brakes etc.  I would be more than happy to own both, the S1 Exige has the S2 on looks, but its not as fast and I prefer the Toyota lump.  I also like that you can go topless in the S2 and the fact getting in and out is just a challenge not a near impossible feat! I also prefer the interior in the S2.  

Bottom line, take the 190BHP lump out of the S1, stick in a Honda SC or Audi, I'd have the S1 Exige every time.  So I suppose that means in my eyes what makes the S2 pip the S1 to the post is that Rover K Series lump, not criticising it, loved the one I had in my Elise, just can't get me head around buying a £30-£40k car with one!  smile.png

Just to add, if money was no object, if I had millions, I'd definitely have an S1 Exige sat in the garage....... it would be alongside an S2 Exige though smile.png

I'm a big fan of the 2zz also cool.png

I love any loud colour chrome orange, krypton green etc...I'm just thinking from a collector/investor perspective on the sale price. Saying that though someone mentioned £35k for a yellow S1 with 25k miles sold very recently. It was pretty basic spec from what I remember on Autotrader ad so if that's correct then the £36k is a possibility.

From a personal view I hope it sells for more than £36k!!! Climbing prices can only be a positive smile.png

Without doubt!  I heard about the yellow one also via Seloc. Would be nice.........  Where does that leave the S2's?  Damn site less for sale these days oh PH.

From a personal view I hope it sells for more than £36k!!! Climbing prices can only be a positive :)

Being an owner of one, I'm inclined to agree. That said, when they started on their rapid rise, I vowed that £30k was my cut off point as anything over that opened up different opportunities. I'm so glad I've got mine, regardless of its value. Mine has a stonking 1.9 Scholar engine, which is just shy of 220bhp (on a cold day!), so in theory would be showing a clean pair of heals to a 220, like for like.

I'm a big fan of the 2zz also cool.png

Without doubt! I heard about the yellow one also via Seloc. Would be nice......... Where does that leave the S2's? Damn site less for sale these days oh PH.

They've only gone up since I sold mine. Supply and demand I suppose with so many going overseas. There will be a time when they start coming back. The 09 plate I had I bought from Luxembourg!

Being an owner of one, I'm inclined to agree. That said, when they started on their rapid rise, I vowed that £30k was my cut off point as anything over that opened up different opportunities. I'm so glad I've got mine, regardless of its value. Mine has a stonking 1.9 Scholar engine, which is just shy of 220bhp (on a cold day!), so in theory would be showing a clean pair of heals to a 220, like for like.

This is my guess and that relies on the economy not falling apart again! Anything sub 20-25k miles will be 45k plus in five years time. 15k and below £50k+. If I'm wrong who cares I will have had some decent fun in the mean time.

Archived