litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Car Wont Start!

Thomas Harborne

Hi all, went to start the car tonight. The stack shimmers as normal, all the lights are on and the immobiliser red led is activebut when turning the key all that happens is a noise at the back which im guessing would be the fuel injecting?

I know its hard to give any sort of diagnostics but has anyone any ideas?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A chattering ? Low battery - not enough to turn the starter motor.

Battery is fine Dobbo, had it drop tested the first week i had it when i had a loose connection on 1 of the terminals. I've just checked all fuses, fine. Tried it again and blam she fired up no problem!! Very strange. Used it the weekend and it was perfect all day Saturday.

If the fuel pump primes, that's only for a few seconds and it's a buzzing noise from the car not the engine bay.

If you turn the ignition off and on again after a few seconds, it won't prime again.

If it's not that noise, the only other thing that goes when you turn the key is the starter motor. It's possible (but VERY unlikely) that it failed to engage with the ring on the flywheel and kept bouncing off the teeth on the flywheel. Might explain why it's started now.

I assume the red led went out when you were trying to start it? If not, I think (not sure) that the fuel pump still primes but obviously won't start if the immobiliser is still active (ie red led still on).

Check the spade connector on the starter motor is secure on it's terminal, If this is not tight then the starter wont spin up, I've had this on mine and just needed to squeeze it slightly with some pliers.

Check the spade connector on the starter motor is secure on it's terminal, If this is not tight then the starter wont spin up, I've had this on mine and just needed to squeeze it slightly with some pliers.

Very common fault, happened to me while in Le Mans and also MartinR while at curborough earlier this year.

Archived