litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

That's A Valve...

KurtB

The vane is a genius idea to spin the valve in the seat due to the airflow around it? Simple but effective. I will not bother on my K though as it will cost HP due to reduced flow. I dont suppose it matters on those big boys     :)

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you're right Martin. Each medium speed engine weighs 120 tonnes (!) and there are 9 of them onboard!!!!!! Only 7 are required for full performance, so a nice bit of redundancy there.

Hey Kurt, did you have some connection with the QE2? I was involved with the commissioning during the original refit from steam to diesel/electric. We did the generators, main propulsion motors and drives. Seems like a lifetime ago now mind!

Hi Wildspark,

My connection is that my Father in Law is just retiring from marine engineering and his mate sourced the valve for me. What company did you work for?

It was GEC back then.

There was lots of fun during the refit! I was a very wet-behind-the-ears electrical Engineer, doing my first stint on site. It was at the German yard at Bremerhaven.

We were doing 100+ hours a week as two shifts. I was on the night shift. Wouldn't be allowed now with the working time directive!

We were so tired. During the sea trials, in the day, we tried to sleep on board, but there was so much noise it was difficult!

On one occasion, just days before the speed trial, for which there was a huge penalty if we didin't make the speed, we managed to start one of the diesels with no oil in the bearing!

I thin there was already one diesel out, so there was no way that we would make the speed with only 7 generators.

The yard flew it off the ship and it was back re-skimmed just in time for the trial.

The thing that stood out for me was that the contract for the plush deep pile carpets was about the same as for our scope of supply of the drives, generators and motors, at £3.5M!

Archived