litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Gear Linkage Kit Install

Thomas Harborne

Installed the new kit yesterday. Found the instructions rather basic and for someone like me who knows nothing about cars i still managed to complete it (took me 5 hours though!!) Very impressed with the difference. Also installed the short shifter kit. This was 30 mins fairly straight forward to install.

Definitely worth the money if anyone else is looking to do it :-) Another mod complete. Anything else i can do thats fairly cheap that will make any differencesto the car?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Installed the new kit yesterday. Found the instructions rather basic and for someone like me who knows nothing about cars i still managed to complete it (took me 5 hours though!!) Very impressed with the difference. Also installed the short shifter kit. This was 30 mins fairly straight forward to install.

Definitely worth the money if anyone else is looking to do it :-) Another mod complete. Anything else i can do thats fairly cheap that will make any differencesto the car?

Braided brake lines if the car hasn't already got them it will improve your stopping power and you could consider a set of 135 cams from an mgtf ( if you can get hold of a set around 150.00 ) see jodys thread on here and read up about it

Regards

Colin

Braided brake lines if the car hasn't already got them it will improve your stopping power and you could consider a set of 135 cams from an mgtf ( if you can get hold of a set around 150.00 ) see jodys thread on here and read up about it

Regards

Colin

Cheers Colin

Anything else i can do thats fairly cheap that will make any differencesto the car?

What wheels and tyres do you have?

I found swapping from the Kumho's on the standard 6 spokes to some Toyo's  on a set of Team Dynamics (so I could go slightly wider at the front), was the single biggest upgrade I made to my old S2. 

Whilst others may love CL5s I found Mintex 1144's more than capable for road use.

Which does lead to the next question on what you will mainly use the car for?  

I found swapping from the Kumho's on the standard 6 spokes to some Toyo's on a set of Team Dynamics (so I could go slightly wider at the front), was the single biggest upgrade I made to my old S2.

Whilst others may love CL5s I found Mintex 1144's more than capable for road use.

Good point IMO to raise especially before selecting a brake pad

I found swapping from the Kumho's on the standard 6 spokes to some Toyo's on a set of Team Dynamics (so I could go slightly wider at the front), was the single biggest upgrade I made to my old S2.

I've only had the car for a little over a month. Have the standard alloys and bridgstone tyres all round. Standard brakes and not sure of the pads. Car will mainly be for general day to day use. But i will track the car eventually. Considering the 2bular exhaust too, as ive5read this is not too loud but delivers a good sound with the Hurricane.

I loved the induction kit on my old one. It did sound great, so irrespective of performance, if I was buying another K series S2, it would be on my shopping list, and is a really easy install :)

As for tyres, I put 8k miles on some T1R's and TBH I couldn't fault them for road use. They did overheat on track after 10 laps of Blyton, but they were streets ahead of AD048's I had on my old Exige in the wet. (Not to mention wear rates and cost!)

TBH you will probably get as many opinions on tyres as MLOC members, and it's an expensive game to keep buying tyres to find they don't suit you. All I will say is whilst Lotus may claim the drop from the S1s 205s to the S2s 175s was down to "handling feel", it's more likely it was down to "stopping journalists parking them in the scenery feel" ;)  I found 195s a good compromise, between feel, understeer tendency and braking. The small problem with the stock wheels is you really shouldn't go as wide as this, hence me buying the TD's which is about the cheapest option.

I agree with Simon that the 175 tyres on the front are limiting, especially with Bridgestone because they haven't made them in that size for years and so those that are still around may have good tread but are probably hard and even less grippy.

I would like to try 195s on the front of mine but as it did for Simon that probably means shelling out 500 bills on a new set of wheels. Another, cheaper option would be to put a brand new pair of Yokohama 175s on the front. They will be better than what you currently have and you can get them for about £100 a piece. This is what I would do for a mostly road use car, but I plan to start using mine more on track and less on the road in future.

Mintex for everyday use or pagid rs42 would be ideal for both... Ask Colin how he's getting on with his. I found them great for both.

I've currently got pagid rs14 in and they are awesom...A similar feel to the CL's. * ( but the pagid don't crumble at the end of their life and in crap weather)...

*** extracted from seloc, although my CL did disintegrate during all year round use

The nice thing with the 195s  is you can almost offset the wheel cost on the front as the tyres are a more popular size and so cheaper  ;)

If memory serves I paid <£50 a corner from Oponeo for T1Rs.  Total budget was <£700 for a complete set of new wheels and tyres, and I needed tyres all round anyway, so "man maths" kicked in. :D

Archived