litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Nlc - At Last....

kieranexige

After 6 weeks of delays and so a far 6months wait Kerri's new Golf is on its way from the factory. I do like the vw track your car system.

Roll on the 1st of September to Start running it in. Not sure how many miles engines these days have to be run in For?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it's anything like my Father in Laws F Type Keiran, it'll be 2000 agonising, slow to achieve miles! He's had his since February and has so far achieved 1200 miles. He does say that I need to take it for a drive when it's run in though.... (I really am impatient to be behind the wheel of a sports car again!)

Cheers Kurt,

I've had a brief search around the net and 1000-1500 seems to be the general consensus on the R so I will have to drill it into here not to drive it hard until then at the earliest, then start to strech it's legs.

I may try and get a long weekend in the black forest before winter so that should help.

My UP needed no running in at all.

Hi Steve, my original C1 was the same, absolutely nothing. You'd think with the tolerances modern engines are made to, a quick run would be all they need.

I thought all modern engines were dyno run in at the factory before install.

Kurt did you get an UP in the end? Welcome to pop in and have a look if you're in the area.

I remember a guy that worked for Toyota (it was on one of the forums) describing the process, and it was little more than a test fire to make sure nothing was blindingly wrong. The logistics of actually running them in would be prohibitive. 

I think the modern manufacturing tolerances as Kurt suggests take care of the rest. The numbers will have been crunched on warranty replacement, knowing in an uncontrolled customer environment a proper running in regime is highly unlikely.

We run a fleet of 15 company cars, always new and always on contract hire. Almost invariably they get dropped off by the hire company driver, with little more than a quick visual inspection to prove it is undamaged and minimal handover (certainly with no talk of running in.)

I can almost guarantee the first thing the sales guys do is take their new cars out for a "razz", probably from stone cold..In 10 years not one has had to go back for a new engine. We keep them 3 years then (out of warranty and no longer a concern to the manufacturers) they get picked up and auctioned off.

I suspect this "running in" procedure is what most cars go through nowadays.

Certainly the Lotus has been the first car in a long time where it was so prescriptive. Probably as much for the benefit of the driver to get used to it as anything else ;)

I thought all modern engines were dyno run in at the factory before install.

Kurt did you get an UP in the end? Welcome to pop in and have a look if you're in the area.

Hi Steve. No I haven't moved forward with replacing the Scirocco yet. I keep going around in circles with what I want (I'm totally fickle with cars, I've owned over 60), so today's crush is a 106 Rallye. Tomorrow I'll grow up again and want a city car!! I really like small chuckable cars, that have a bit of go. Thanks for the offer to pop over, IF I finally hone down my thinking to an UP! I'll come over.

Cheers,

Kurt

• 2 weeks later...

Well it's here folks and somebody is very happy.....

BlurImage22-8-2015%209-5-38.jpg

Full report when I can actually drive it in 9 days. It's off for a full gtechniq hydrophobic paint protection first which should make my life easier for the next 2 years on the washing side.

• 2 weeks later...

Well we collected it at 8 this morning and I don't think we've. Been out of it much all day.

Managed to do 170miles and its had a wash already thanks to the amount of mud on the roads today.

First impressions are really good. Feels and sounds very solid indeed.

I was slightly concerned but the real term mpg figures people were quoting on the owners clubs but did a few junctions down the m1 and it managed 33 mpg straight out of the box so it's not to be sniffed at.

Of course we didn't really buy it to sit watching the mpg figures and its making all the right noises.

Although vw have assured us it's pre run in I'm going to put 1000miles on it before We start to stretch it's legs. It does egg you on though when putting it in race mode and the exhausts open up.

Archived