litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Suspension Dilemma

Pie Warrior

hi guys, need some advice as my suspension is starting to leak, 2000 S1 still on Koni's.

Bilsteins upgrade still not available since beginning of June (looking like September at earliest) and MOT runs out 11th August. It needs new bearings and a steering rack so really want to do the suspension at the same time, which of the ones listed below would be a suitable alternative or are there any others to be considered.. The car is only going to be used on the road and is standard with no upgrades though I do wish to go on more Mloc runs as I really enjoyed the run around the peak .

Thanks in advance

Neil

Nitron Street Series II adjustable dampers

Spax RSX 702 (road set up)

Quantum Zero

Gaz Fast Road

Nitron Fast Road

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doesn't mention these being out of stock as far as i can see?

http://www.elise-shop.com/bilstein-suspension-upgrade-for-lotus-elise-s1-p-531.html

I know I saw  that, so I contacted them direct and got a reply :

Hi Neil,

Thanks for your email.

They're on backorder, leadtime is approx. two weeks+.

Best regards, / Met vriendelijke groet, / Mit freundlichen Grüßen, / Cordialement,

Yvo Tuk

www.elise-shop.com

So tried Hangar 111 told September earliest.....

Ohh poo. I guess non of the local dealers would have them on the shelves either.

Out of those choices id go for the nitrons but iirc they aren't fit and forget they are expect to be rebuilt periodically?

I can live with adjustable/service sets as I now intend to use the car more often as since 2007 it has only done minimal mileage as it has sat under a cover at side of the house neglected apart from MOT and service and maybe the odd trip to london and wigan once a year.....Just wondered what others have fitted if they haven't gone for the Bilsteins upgrade option

Can you get some old Bilsteins that will scrape you through the MOT?

Based on your usage I would do that, get all the bits replaced and geo'd like that, then when you get the new Bilsteins you can easily swap them over.

I had NSS v1 on mine, and they were great but I think a bit too harsh for pure road use with the current state of the roads :(

I plumped for NTR 40's with nitron rose joints and have found the to be fine for road use (quieter that the bilstiens with rubber bushings???)

I recall seriously lotus do a full suspension refresh with NSS2's for reasonable money

Here you go

http://www.seriouslylotus.com/suspension-steering/suspension-refresh-kit-343

I would also do the bearing while you are at it (seriously lotus do a discount if you buy 4 at once)

I am not on commission ;0) but Dave does give great service and advice.

I suppose that is one option, someone else had suggested getting adjustable nitron ss2 but with lower rated springs and use on softest option for pure road use

Not sure on the new NSS, but the old.ones didn't have an option for specifying the springs, you got what you got, to keep the cost down.

They also weren't worth rebuilding, as the full rebuild cost (including new springs) was as much as a new set (hence mine went to the tip), although they did last a very long time before that happened

One thing to note though, I tried running mine really soft and the car handled badly, front bounced all over the place so I firmed them up again and it was good, obviously if you can spec softer spring now that would help

I have recently put NSS 2 on my mostly road use s2. They are great when cornering fast but quite a bit less comfortable than the standard Billies I had before.

If you ordered softer springs it would help I guess but would cost about £250 more.

An option would be to get some second hand billies rebuilt at their place in Leicestershire. My old set may still be at Unit 4 in Burton if you want them. Rebuilds including a paint are about £85 a corner I think but more if you wanted new springs obviously.

Bilstein S1 to S2 upgrade kits have just been delivered to Lotus and Elise parts, had an email to say now in stock. Parts on their way will be in time for MOT, thanks for all the offers and comments above.

Neil

For what it's worth I think you have made the right choice. Driving mine home last night after a week away from it I was struck by how bloody uncomfortable it is. I will try and soften the dampers a bit but the springs I'm stuck with.

Archived