litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Still Getting Mayo In Tank After Skim And Gasket

AndyPeat

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not now, it started with a bit of mayo emulsified oil but then a shed load of brown oil appeared (quarter of an inch in the expansion tank), after clearing it out with a rag, the next time I checked it had mostly gone as there was inevitably some left after cleaning it.

I took it for a blast tonight and some of the oil is back but not as bad as before.

Here's a couple of pics. It ain't good by the looks of it. This is after a decent run after it had cleared.

post-416-0-85269400-1437673497_thumb.jpg

post-416-0-03072900-1437673510_thumb.jpg

Let it cool down for a couple of hours after my run to work and there was hissing when the cap came off.

I've spoken to Gav at Unit 4 this morning. Whatever it is it's not right and I need to give it the best chance so it's going there in the morning and I'll leave it with him while I'm on holiday. From what I've read here I'm sure it's in good hands.

I'll post any developments

Thanks all

If there was a lot of hissing its almost certainly blowing across the fire ring and pressurizing the coolant system. Its caused by an indent on the head normally on the exhaust valve side. The head gets hottest at this point.

Gav is good. He repaired my hgf. My car is there at the moment for a new radiator.

He will have the head skimmed, hopefully that will sort it. He has repaired literally hundreds of hgf over the years so knows from experience what works and what doesn't. Mine has done 23,000 miles since he fixed it...

Thanks Dean, it's reassuring to hear. I feel that all the chips are all in this time financially after what will be three head removals and two skims so I might as well spend more and get the best job for peace of mind.

If this doesn't work out it's webuyanycar.com.unsure.png

I've had her 12 years now with nearly no trouble so I can't grumble too much

• 1 month later...

Quick update,

gav has had her for a while now, trying to rule out anything other than the gasket, heat exhanger (oil cooler) had been ruled out by bypassing.

Head's off today, the work carried out previously looks solid and the head skim looks very good. Liner heights all spot on. No obvious signs of where it's coming from.

So it's a bit of a head scratcher. We're hoping the Payen gasket will sort it as it's more forgiving than the multi layer one.

Should get it back next weekend after testing

Fingers crossed!

• 2 weeks later...

Have the head hardness tested why it's off. It's a pretty easy process. When a k series has overheated it can cause soft spots.

Anything less than 95 grinall and the head is scrap, no matter what you do to it.

Just noticed the date of this thread, advice may be a little late, hope you're sorted.

Thanks Working Man but I got the car back yesterday,

Gav said a fair bit of oil came through on first test which was a bit of a worry, but it looks like it was just residual oil in the system. It's had a couple of flushes since then and he had it running for around 4hrs on Friday with no additional oil appearing.

He's 90% sure it's resolved. I've been out in it quite a bit since and still looking good. so fingers crossed.

Thanks for all the input folks.

Just like to add that I've been impressed with Gav's work and how he methodically approached the problem. It was good value. Another thumbs up from me!

!

Archived