litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Still Getting Mayo In Tank After Skim And Gasket

AndyPeat

Just had quite a bit of work done to the elise:

New clutch, clutch release arm, timing belt and pump, head skim and new gasket with the uprated oil rail/ladder.

My mechanic is a good guy (one of the head mechanics at Sytner) he did it in his spare time.

The system has had a coolant cleanser and flushed.

I'm very happy now with how the elise runs but I'm getting some gunk in the expansion tank.

I'm not losing coolant as the level appears constant.

Just wondering what it might be, the heat exchanger was pressure tested on the last head gasket change (took it somewhere last year to get the gasket changed and he made a pig's ear of it, still leaked) so I don't think it's that.

Any ideas?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There could be some porosity in the head around the fire ring. Peening the head before skimming can cure this. This normally pressurises the system rather than create mayo.

It could of course just be old gunk working it's way through, some that was missed when flushed.

I shall keep my fingers crossed for you :-)

Sh*t, it's getting worse. Just dipped my finger in to the expansion tank (see pic) 

Spoke to Unit 4 and he said I should clear out the tank and bypass the heat exchanger just in case it's that.

If not it's the head off for the third time.

post-416-0-35605900-1437119190_thumb.jpg

Sh*t, it's getting worse. Just dipped my finger in to the expansion tank (see pic)

Spoke to Unit 4 and he said I should clear out the tank and bypass the heat exchanger just in case it's that.

If not it's the head off for the third time.

What sort of distance are you travelling in the car?

Just locally my commute is 16miles round trip but I only use it 2-3 times per week.

The odd thing is that once I cleared out the oil it hasn't come back, maybe it's mixing with the coolant now but as you can see from the pic, it wasn't mixed, just dark brown.

I'm taking it steady for the next week to monitor it and then I'll put my foot down a bit.

Trash it now.

If there is a problem it won't go away by taking it easy and you need to know for sure.

Russ is on the same wave length.

Best case it's just residue and will burn off.

Worst case it's something more sinister and it will need fixing anyway, just take your AAcard with you.

Archived