litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Elise S1 Floor Pan Vibration Under Driver Seat

JJM

Hi Guys

Just bought an Elise S1 and while I know it will be noisy there is a loud vibration from under the driver seat at 2-3k revs where the floor pan goes under the cross members near the handbrake cover. If I put my left hand behind the seat I can feel the whole panel vibrate. Question is what can I do to cure this? Do I need to come at it from below?

Cheers

James

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi James,

Welcome to MLOC smile.png

K series engines have an exhaust resonace around 2.5k RPM, this is normally heard as a tizz. Elise parts sell an anti tizz bracket to stop the exhaust vibration.

http://www.eliseparts.com/products/show/40/742/anti-tizz-bracket/

As your floor pan is vibrating I would start off by removing both rear under trays, get the car up in the air ( axle stands or at a garage with a lifting platform )

then see if you can identify the vibration cause while someone revs the engine ( it will be difficult to simulate load conditions but it should help ). Also check all 3  engine and gearbox mountings, if these are failing it could also be the cause. If nothing is untoward bonding an anti vibration pad to the panel may cure it.

Good luck

Russ.

To rule out one possibility, does the vibration stop if you gently pull the handbrake? The linkage arrangement could be vibrating about and hitting the undertray?

Thanks for the feedback guys, also the vibration only seems to occur once the car has been driven for a while and well up to temp.

Time to break out the socket set and deep heat for my back from scaling underneath.

Archived