litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Hmmmm

djb222

Super Elise?

Julian Thomson, who designed the original Series 1 Elise while working for Lotus back in 1996, says he wants to create a super Elise inspired by Singer Porsche 911s. 

Note: images copyright Julian Thomson.

10427993_1080494308638307_10600859986560
11412213_1080494351971636_10214278539063

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I saw this in Autocar magazine (?). I don't like it. I think he still has a monk on because Lotus chose to replace his s1 elise design with the s2 so soon.

Doesn't look to bad from the rear but, to like the S1 from the front.

There is a place for retro design, look at Ford & Chevrolet etc, but in this case I'm not so sure. All down to personal taste.

I love it and if it was based on an S1 chassis I would be very interested. Bet they will be expensive though. £50k would get my attention but I bet they will be more.

If there is one car company who's design style over the years has changed more than Lotus (7->Elan->Esprit->Elise->...) I really don't know who there is.

Fashion right now for new cars is getting ever more angular, with strong straight edges. The 311 is much more of the direction I'd prefer them to go. It would be a brave move to get it right for us enthusiasts, but they need wider appeal as a business.

If they must do "Retro", the Esprit is a much better starting place IMHO

Archived