Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

S1 Exige Suspension Refurb.

KurtB

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tsk. Today I hit a bit of a wall. Having had the bearings pressed in by the local truck man, I noticed one of the front hubs was slightly more proud than the other. No worries, pop em back, and get him to apply a bit more umph. That done it was back home. Sadly I noticed that the bearing had a bit of a wobble. Basically, it's brand new and now it's unserviceable. Boooo. I've got one front hub full assembled and good to go, but the other one needs busting down again. Do I REALLY need to take all the way to Burton to get Gav to strip and reassemble the front hub? Surely there's someone nearer to me who can do it? I obviously need another bearing first. Gutted, it was going so well (despite a lack of updates). I'm reluctant to fit the other one, as I want to ensure the hubs are identical before assembly.

Anyway, here is a pic of some slow progress. Thank you to Russ for posting out some duralac. You sir, are a gent. 

post-4214-0-50055600-1438877366_thumb.jpg

I don't want to scaremonger here Kurt but I'm sure I've heard that if the bearings aren't pressed in absolutely square it can ovalise the hub and cause wobble. Is the movement definitely in the bearing and not the bearing moving in the hub? Hopefully it will be the former.

I've never heard of that Leigh, but guess it's true. Without looking at it again (too disheartening), I know it's definitely the bearing.

Thanks Jonny, yep, summer 2016 ;-)

It is aluminium Martin. I'm going on my holidays now, but will get a new bearing when I return and source another press. I did advise the freezing technique in the first place, and left it with him. You live and learn....

Is the front hub ally on an S1 Exige ( cant remember ) If it is. Normal method is bearing in freezer for a few hours and gently warm the hub. Should push in easy then?

Didn't work for me.

I've never heard of that Leigh, but guess it's true. Without looking at it again (too disheartening), I know it's definitely the bearing.

Thanks Jonny, yep, summer 2016 ;-)

We'll have to meet up then lol. It'll be fine Kurt, chill buddy, enjoy you're holiday.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Progress today. CV boots bought, driveshafts refitted and rear suspension assembled. Wheels on, lowered off jacks, engine started for the first time in 8 months, out of garage. Then the real work could be started: Cleaning the garage floor! That done, car turned around, back in the garage, ready for the back end to be raised up, new handbrake cable, fitting of new undertray (custom made to clear the 2bular), and contemplate louvres in the rear undertray to get more heat out. Hmmmmm.

Archived