litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Squeaking From Engine Bay.

giles.l

Evening guys. Over the last week or so I've started hearing a squeaking sound from the engine bay, kind of like the noise when you get a stone stuck against a brake disk. It's mainly on engine load and coasting in gear. My first thought was water pump but after some reading up some point to belt tensioner, others a slipping belt. I'm erring towards tensioner but wondered if anyone on here has experience to confirm what I think. Car is 2006 Elise S 1zz, 43k miles. Thanks in advance.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Evening guys. Over the last week or so I've started hearing a squeaking sound from the engine bay, kind of like the noise when you get a stone stuck against a brake disk. It's mainly on engine load and coasting in gear. My first thought was water pump but after some reading up some point to belt tensioner, others a slipping belt. I'm erring towards tensioner but wondered if anyone on here has experience to confirm what I think. Car is 2006 Elise S 1zz, 43k miles. Thanks in advance.

The Toyota lumps are chain driven so that can rule out cam belt squeak. Tensioner are a possibility though.

Are all the engine mounts in good working order?

Is it definitely coming from the engine and not he suspension??

Yep, definitely engine bay,seems to be from aux belt area. Been listening on the way to work, nothing on idle, starts at around 3K rpm, changes pitch with load or engine braking. Pretty much exactly the same sound as a stone stuck on a brake disk.

Think I'm going to have to just get the belt off and see how everything feels. Gut feeling and the fact it's a known 1zz thing says it is the tensioner but we'll see what I find. Thanks for the input guys, I'll let you know.

• 1 month later...

Sorry it's taken a while to update on this. So went with alternator belt change as a start. My heart sank when I got the wheel and arch liner off and could see very little let alone get at anything!! Once the undertray and engine cover were off everything was OK to get at. Anyway, had a quick turn of all the pulleys and there is a fair bit of play in the bearing of the slave pulley that replaces the power steering pump. Got a replacement and will be putting it in at the weekend and hopefully losing the squeak! .... I'll let you know.

Sorry it's taken a while to update on this. So went with alternator belt change as a start. My heart sank when I got the wheel and arch liner off and could see very little let alone get at anything!! Once the undertray and engine cover were off everything was OK to get at. Anyway, had a quick turn of all the pulleys and there is a fair bit of play in the bearing of the slave pulley that replaces the power steering pump. Got a replacement and will be putting it in at the weekend and hopefully losing the squeak! .... I'll let you know.

Well done for tackling this yourself, Simple job and will save you ££££'s - :tup:

hey giles.

Hope you have sorted ?

where about are you based (pm me if you prefer not to advertise location)

If not fixed try Phil Halfpenny at Autokraft in longton on uttoxeter road has looked after my elise and exige for years plus a few S1 and s2''s standard and SC's

sounds like you know your stuff far better than me, but if you need help, he's the man.

hth

richard baker 

• 3 weeks later...

Cheers Rich. Longton is about 20 mins away. Got a mate with a garage in Leek that' I'll take it to.

So, the squeal continues....... Changed the slave pulley last weekend which didn't fix things and now replaced the tensioner assembly this morning still with no cure!! Toyota redesigned the assembly due to known issues with it squealing. (As least I know I won't get that prob now) was a bit of a fiddle and the mount on the spring had seized on but not too bad.

The only thing left to try is the alternator as suggested by Alex. ...... To be continued........

Archived