litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

S2 Longtail Soft Top Issue

Troisieme

Hello all. Long time lurker etc.

Just got my 2002 S2 back following an ECU replacement and it's been pointed out to me that the soft top is no longer fitting properly at the front. Rather than the cable sitting firmly into the groove next to the windscreen, it's balancing on the top. Short term it still seems to be keeping the rain out but obviously long term I need to do something about it.

I doubt it's the front cable itself that's the issue as I replaced it last year, and changing the angles/length doesn't seem to make any difference. Could it be that the material itself has shrunk/misshapen over time - has anyone else suffered this problem? And, if so, is there any solution other than replacing the top (which in itself seems to be an issue as I can't find any longtail soft tops online)?

Thanks all.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello all. Long time lurker etc.

Just got my 2002 S2 back following an ECU replacement and it's been pointed out to me that the soft top is no longer fitting properly at the front. Rather than the cable sitting firmly into the groove next to the windscreen, it's balancing on the top. Short term it still seems to be keeping the rain out but obviously long term I need to do something about it.

I doubt it's the front cable itself that's the issue as I replaced it last year, and changing the angles/length doesn't seem to make any difference. Could it be that the material itself has shrunk/misshapen over time - has anyone else suffered this problem? And, if so, is there any solution other than replacing the top (which in itself seems to be an issue as I can't find any longtail soft tops online)?

Thanks all.

I am also having the same problem. New cable fitted. Tension feels good across the car but its as if the roof is too short? Did tou ever find a resolution? 

Cheers 

Hi,

I had the same issue.  I couldn't find a way to resolve it even after fitting a new tensioner.  In the end I took the whole lot to Allon White and had new seals installed and the deteriorating soft top was recovered.  Not cheap, but absolutely top job.  Am considering them for a full retrim once I decide on the scheme, which is the hardest part.

-- Paul.

Archived