litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

S2 Immobiler Fuse Keeps Blowing

caves

Hi,

I have a 2001 S2 and have a recurring fuse that blows. It is located it the engine bay and described as an in line fuse in the manual. Basically all seems ok when I try to start the car, constant red light from immobilisers but no action on turning the key. Just prior to the fuse going it was taking a second or thIrd turn of the key for the car to fire up so maybe a related issue.

Aside from a new 20amp fuse each time I need to start the car, what is likely to need tlc or replacing?

Cheers

Ady C

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe it is to the immobiliser, accessed from the boot loosening two Allen keys to remove a plastic water cover.

Inside are two 20 amp fuses, the one furthest from the boot area is the culprit

Just checked the wiring diagram. that fuse feed splits in 2 after the fuse. one goes to the immobilizer and the other to the Engine control module. It then goes again to the immobilzer  ( a double check i suppose? ). Im not sure if you can link out the immobilizer on an S2? You can on a S1.ou go

edit, here you go, if you have a Cobra?

http://www.eliseparts.com/products/show/61/661/immobiliser-bypass/

Try that and see if it still blows the fuse?

Hi Martin, I have attempted to fit the bypass and apart from not being a contortionist and struggling to get the panel off behind the seats (great place to put the immobiliser) I think I am flawed by not having a cobra alarm. The box I tried to plug it to is a "m23 t2 lotus" with what appears to be different connections. If the issue is likely to be the immobiliser is replacing it the best option? Or is there another option first? I also expect taking the passenger seat out may help reduce the pain of trapped arms and mean I can see what I am doing!!! Thanks in advance Ady

Update, m23 was the wrong part. I had found the sensor, I have found the right part but just can't get to it. The manual I found online says remove cabin rear trim panel which I assume is the one right across the back behind the seats. That isn't going to come out until the seats have! Is that as simple as the four bolts I can see in the cabin or time for a garage to join the party and take over?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I'm back...

Seat removed, plastic cover behind seat also out and immobiliser now in sight. But not a cobra, the part doesn't fit... Wiring looks pretty permanent with melted plastic to seal it.

So next steps?

I am thinking of a Stop gap increase in fuse size to stay on the road and hopefully able to start up!

But now time to guess whether to go for a new starter motor in case that has a power surge if on its last legs, which feels cheaper than what I fear is needed and replace the immobiliser.

Gut feel is the immobiliser as about half the time when starting, button pressed and solid red light on she doesn't start on the first turn of the key, but does on second mainly and occasionally the third.

Makes me think the fuse and the starting are linked.

Any thoughts or advice?

Any idea on cost for replacing and who is best to use?

Help!

Thanks

Ady

Ah! No, I put everything back (I say I, I had to take it to a mechanic friend to get the seat out...)

It wasn't branded, said lotus on a sticker and a part number

The manual with the car didn't say either

Hi, I remember it as Meta M25 Lotus. I have googled it and only found the mets m23 t2 part that was the motion sensor about a foot away from it. M25 doesn't seem to exist any more

Just texted the man who helped with talking the seats out and he thinks it may have been m99 t2 when I gave him a few options I found on the Internet

Archived