litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Best Open Top Car For 5K

Chris_edeson

Ok folks, i need your knowledge and help.

It is looking increasingly like we will not be staying long term in Oz. I may be back this summer. 

to cure the depression of no longer living the life in Bondi, i am going to buy a cheap car and do a euro trip before i have to go back to work.

Something along the lines of heading out towards turin, and then down the coast to Monte Carlo etc. Route is the easy bit.\

The hard bit is what motor to do it in.

quick browse on piston heads classifieds.... and possibles are

MX5 MK1 - a few low mileage good examples on there. my dad had one when they 1st came out and i know its a great reliable motor.

BMW Z3 - saw the one they had on the middle east top gear special

Original Porsche Boxster - surprisingly cheap and a lot around with decent history. 

Fiat barchetta - left hand drive too good for there but not here

any other suggestions people?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mk5 mk1 or mk2 you'll get a minter for 5k

my mate had a mk2 that was nice and only paid 2300 for it,

A decent mileage z3/4 would be my choice.

You'll easily get a z4 for under 5k I had one as shire car for around 3 weeks lovely to drive.

The Boxter can be expensive, so many things which can go wrong ... I know some people with an mx5, it runs fantasticaly ! Cheap, playfull, not very fast but this is not theessence of it. Just in case you think of it, the Megane RS, don't :D The fiat does not really look good ...

So z3 vs mx5 for me ! Even some z4 for this price ;) 

Apparently the handling on Z3's is abominable. Never driven one but never heard anything good about them. A Boxster at £5k would have me asking why it's so cheap, especially if you plan a long trip in it. MX5 would be my choice at that money. Either a Mk1 or a mk2.5 if you can find one at the right price. Dad picked up a 1991 Mk1 for £1.5k 3 years ago and it hasn't skipped a beat once. Great car and IMO the best looking of the MX5's.

If its out there MK 1 MR 2 Classic.

Eddie.

Thats a good shout eddie

I really like the pop up light mk1 mx5 not fussed about speed. Just open top and fun

Apparently the handling on Z3's is abominable. Never driven one but never heard anything good about them. A Boxster at £5k would have me asking why it's so cheap, especially if you plan a long trip in it. MX5 would be my choice at that money. Either a Mk1 or a mk2.5 if you can find one at the right price. Dad picked up a 1991 Mk1 for £1.5k 3 years ago and it hasn't skipped a beat once. Great car and IMO the best looking of the MX5's.

Does he want to sell it?!

Agreed best looking!

Are they good for a euro trip?? And where would i even look for one?!

Er, if you travel light. My wife and I did a Euro trip in a Eunos, complete with tent, roll matts, sleeping bags etc, some nice clothes to go out in, and it took us two weeks travelling as far as Northern Italy (Pordenone). We travelled from the UK, via the Chunnel to France, Belgium, Germany (beautiful, in every respect), Switzerland (pricey), into Italy via the mountains (Stelvio slightly ticked), and then France and home. 

It's certainly possible in a Seven, but you'll need bungees to strap things onto the car. Ebay is favourite for a seven-alike...

Er, if you travel light. My wife and I did a Euro trip in a Eunos, complete with tent, roll matts, sleeping bags etc, some nice clothes to go out in, and it took us two weeks travelling as far as Northern Italy (Pordenone). We travelled from the UK, via the Chunnel to France, Belgium, Germany (beautiful, in every respect), Switzerland (pricey), into Italy via the mountains (Stelvio slightly ticked), and then France and home.

It's certainly possible in a Seven, but you'll need bungees to strap things onto the car. Ebay is favourite for a seven-alike...

Kurt that sounds exactly what i want to do!! I thin the mk1 mx5/eunos is the way forward.

I even just looked at mk1 tt convertable... Somebody slap me.

Just need to trawl the classifieds. Is there a mx5 forum? May be a good place for me to look

Archived