litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Skoda Fabia Vrs

Alex B

Does any one have any experience of owning a skoda fabia VRS (the early diesel version)?

I'm after an insight into owner ship if one, reliability running costs etc

The reason I ask is due to unforeseen circumstances at work, for the foreseeable future I will have to use my own car to get to work. Currently using my clio sport 172, however the 28mpg isn't ideal neither is French reliability.

Using the elise is totally out of question.

Any other reliable non dull cars could be considered...

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A neighbour had one and loved it, he swapped it for one of the limited effition blue ones that had full leather and again loved it.

They never had a issue with it

I would not think twice about getting one of the blue ones with leather

How far are you going each day Alex? I used to run my 182 Cup as a daily (mostly sat in traffic) and never had a problem.

Chris it's aleast 1 x 20mile round trip.

However when I'm working call out it could be as many as I can fit into 24hours.

Mate had one. He loved it and it was faultless until the water pump seized and lunched the engine, no warning.

Probably just bad look though, can't find anything to suggest that it's a common issue.

A friend of mine had a Seat Ibiza diesel and since then has had two Octavia Vrs. He had each one re-mapped, all have been reliable, pretty rapid and good on fuel.

I ran one for 130k miles (Took it from 20k to 150k over about 5.5 years).

They are a brilliant car - such a shame the new one has the twin charged petrol. With the effortless torque of the diesel engine they feel like a much bigger car on long journeys and are relaxing on the m-way. I drove to the alps several times in a single day without problem and drove back from Hannover at 110 on the autobahn for a several hrs...

The handling is fairly dull, and ride a bit crashy but can be improved if you want to (i didn't bother). Mine was standard engine wise and was fast enough.

If you must modify the order should be suspension, intercooler, brakes, power although most do the complete opposite...

I did a lot of miles in mine and used the performance right up to the day i said goodbye. I had a few mechanicals but it only required the AA once. Overall it was a very cheap car to run - 27p per mile all in!

Issues i had: Turbo hose popped off cracking intercooler (bodged with cable ties!), water radiator failed (£80 from skoda), rear wheel bearing, turbo ate itself at 130k (refurbed one was faster - result), leaking rear door seals (cheap easy fix). It's a skoda so parts are cheap.

Michelin tyres lasted very well and were worth the extra money. Running Millers Power Sport 4 (Ecomax now) saved 3-4% on fuel cost.

I run a 335d now but still miss the little vrs....

Archived