litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

I Need To Change My Front Brakes

Foggy

I have been noticing a catching noise coming from my nearside front disc and also last weekend when riding the brake pedal slightly rolling upto the lights the pedal was moving up and down slightly. I think that the nearside disc is warped after jacking that wheel up and turning it by hand it catches in the same place on each full turn.

I have decided that I will change the front discs and pads. Have been looking at Seriously Lotus and Elise Parts and quite fancy the mix of EBC Ultimax USR slotted discs and Greenstuff pads (currently have Greenstuff pads and like them). 

Does anyone have any experience of this combination and do they work well?

The majority of my driving is fast road with the occasional track use, but I do like good stopping power and to feel confident with the brakes.

Any help or advice would be welcomed.

Simon

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the love of God don't buy green stuff pads, they are utterly horrific!

I'd do mintex 1144 if on a budget.

If not CL rc5+

Bec ultimate discs are good though.

I've got to agree with Alex!

I asked the same question just a few months ago. I have plain EBC discs and CL RC5+ pads fitted now. Perfect for the road and fade free on the track. I can brake a LOT later now and it really hauls the car up, lots of pedal feel, the difference to the previous belled disc and Pagid RS14/42 set up is night and day! I predominantly do road driving but have tracked it at Blyton where the brakes didn't wince once...

Kurt

I also have rc5+ on standard discs and recommend this set up. The ebc discs you mention are probably very good but I doubt you would notice any difference when driving, even on track. Are they therefore worth the extra money? The rc5+ pads however will be like night and day to your greenstuff. You would obviously need to change pad material on both axles though, and I should say that some people have reported problems with pad material breaking off the backing plates on the rc5+. I have weighed up the risk and feel comfortable with them, but you may not.

As above - please don't get Green stuff, and yes the some ppl have moaned about the CL5's but I have never had a problem with them, but then I don't use my car in the crappy winter.

I've used the Ultimax USR disks and they were very good, but they did do a Whoosing/grumbling noise under hard high speed braking, it sounded like my passenger wheel bearing was on the way out, but this is normal it seems.  I replaced these with 295 Ali bells and there was hardly any difference - and I moved the Ultimax USR to the rear and they have lasted well there.

The ultimax USR also wear down fairly flat, and the slots help to deglaze the pads, unlike the OEM drilled discs.  The oem discs are quite soft and wear badly, so it takes time for new pads to bed in.

The CL5+ have very good initial bite when cold and wet, and are great on track, they don't wear discs excessively, and the dust doesn't weld its self to your wheels like the others.  I'm about to get some more CL5+'s next week - even tho others have had problems.  Both my Front an Rear discs have slots now, and the pads and discs wear reasonably flat. 

There are reports of the CL5 pads crumbling and falling off, but then RS42/14's have had problems too if you do some research, but both of these are more trackday pads than road pads so if you get CL or RS, just keep your eye on them and enjoy the performance.

I would say get both the CL5 and Ultimax USR discs (or try the other silver Ultimax discs), and you will be amazed with them. (Clean the black off first).  I used to lock my S2 111s 175 fronts if someone pulled out on me, but since moving to Exige rims and 205 AD08's I have less of these moments.

If you don't want to risk the CL5 or harder RS42's, then try the Ferodo DS Performance or 2500, as more ppl seem to be moving to these, and liking them.  Do some searches on the various sites etc.

Don't forget to order some pad buffers too - to stop any rattle or squeals, and let us know what you go for and how you find them.

meant to add that I also tried the OEM pads, and Mintex (1144 I think) and I didn't like either.  The mintex had poor initial bite when cold and the same when wet, coming off a motorway in the rain was a bit nervy at first.  And the brake dust on both took some removing too.

I'd be interested if anyone has used and can report back on the Ferodo, I'll still be getting CL5's again, but I may try something else some day.

Archived