litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Hellow From Newbie

Johnny Boy

Hi everyone, just a quick post to say hello, bought a silver 1998 S1 Elise early January, there have been a few engine running issues to say the least, but these are sorted now.

I have ordered new tyres (Toyo Proxes) and S2 Bilstein suspension upgrade. Have already started fettling where appropriate and possible.

Will use the car as weekend runaround also for sprints at Curborough.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to MLOC Johnny. We sometimes meet for breakfast over in the Derbyshire Dales on a Sunday morning if you fancy it - the roads, bacon cobs and banter are all good, if you fancy it. Plus we have our big annual event Lotus in the Peak (there is a good film of last year's event on YouTube and the separate thread on here).

Good luck with the sprinting!

Welcome to MLOC Johnny. We sometimes meet for breakfast over in the Derbyshire Dales on a Sunday morning if you fancy it - the roads, bacon cobs and banter are all good, if you fancy it. Plus we have our big annual event Lotus in the Peak (there is a good film of last year's event on YouTube and the separate thread on here).

Let me know when there's a breakfast meet in the Dales please. I may be interested.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.

The Bilstein S2 upgrade kit arrived Wednesday and has now been fitted, took a while mainly due to just taking great care with very rusty bolts/nuts etc.

Feels much better over bumps but still a fair bit of rattling when going over bumps, feels like its coming from steering.

I would be grateful for any diagnostic assistance as I am keen to reduce rattles as much as possible.

Still some fettling to prepare car for sprint on 29th March at Curborough, Tow Hooks, on/off labels etc.

Welcome to the club.

One possible contender for your rattly front end could be worn bushes in the steering rack. With mine I was able to detect some vertical play by grabbing hold of each steering arm and moving it up and down, with the wheels off obviously. The racks originally either had phosphor bronze or plastic bushes. The plastic ones can be replaced but if, like mine, they're the bronze ones you may end up with a complete new rack.

The anti-roll bar mounts are another, early cars had nylon ones that wear over time and cause a rattle whereas later ones had rubber mounts.

Other rattle options are also available smile.png  

Car is just about ready for sprint at Curborough on Sunday. Lots of minor issues ie loose items needed securing down to keep scrutineers happy,

new tyres should go on tomorrow, will need to put some miles on them.

BTW it is free to attend the sprint at Curborough everyone is welcome, plenty of parking and loads of interesting cars. 

There will be over 60 competitors ranging from 1.4 Nova's to single seaters with ex F1 engine.

Lotus wise there will be 4 x Elise's competing with 5 drivers (shared drive) a Lotus Cortina Mk1 and a Lotus 61.

There is also a very nice catering/tea wagon.

Sarah is on the list to compete, am pretty sure she holds the record for the short and the long course, I will say hello on your behalf.

One of the other Elise's is an ex race car puts out 185 bhp. I have had passenger ride in it and it is quick.

My Elise is completely standard, I will do my best.

I competed last year in an MG TF 160 (which only achieved 130 and 140bhp after some changes on a rolling road).

Archived