litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Suspension Advice Please

DeanB

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a little bit but it still needs to go in to have the geo, ride height and corner weights set up properly. I will probably drop it 5-10 ml at the back and 10 - 15 mil at the front.

So far I have found the car to be really uncomfortable on rippled surfaces at normal speeds. Perhaps this can be improved by softening off the dampers a bit (I am just over the half way point I guess at the mo) but the spring rate can't be softened off (obv) so it will never ride as well as standard.

On bumpy roads at slow and steady speeds it is a bit uncivilised too.

On smoother surfaces it rides ok.

On the other hand if you push on a bit it is fine over the bumps and handles beautifully. The body control is in a different league. On the Bilsteins the car would feel floaty in fast corners and would be found out through fast S bends, but the NSS cure all that.

To sum up I would say you would have to be a real enthusiast that likes to press on a lot for the nss to suit. Or do track days.

I've just fitted a set of OVO coilovers and the only thing I was dissapointed with was the drop im getting,on what I would say was same height as the bilsteins there much better and comfier,but lowered what I woukd say is probably about 20mm front and maybe 10 rear it's pretty harsh,would be interested to know what coilover is best for getting a decent drop and maintaining some decent comfort,ive had several kits on other cars of mine and considering ive only dropped this 20 and 10mm im a bit suprised that its that much harsher,so are yours at the minute pretty much same height as standard?these that I have bought said they drop 65mm fully down but I doubt that ever possible,I mean I would never go that low anyway but I was hoping to drop a good 30mm front and 20mm rear

I'll try get some pics up tomorrow,would be good to see pics of yours too

I have a little bit but it still needs to go in to have the geo, ride height and corner weights set up properly. I will probably drop it 5-10 ml at the back and 10 - 15 mil at the front.

So far I have found the car to be really uncomfortable on rippled surfaces at normal speeds. Perhaps this can be improved by softening off the dampers a bit (I am just over the half way point I guess at the mo) but the spring rate can't be softened off (obv) so it will never ride as well as standard.

On bumpy roads at slow and steady speeds it is a bit uncivilised too.

On smoother surfaces it rides ok.

On the other hand if you push on a bit it is fine over the bumps and handles beautifully. The body control is in a different league. On the Bilsteins the car would feel floaty in fast corners and would be found out through fast S bends, but the NSS cure all that.

To sum up I would say you would have to be a real enthusiast that likes to press on a lot for the nss to suit. Or do track days.

Dean,

I was looking favourably at the NSS as my next set up, but am now having second thoughts. I really like your feedback, very well described. I'm kind of thinking I ought to go with Billies now, but have time to decide....

Dean my settings for the road are 16 all round from hard.

Any less than this and it as you say it's harsh on the bumps! Mine does have 600-450 spring rates but there are 22 clicks so if your at 11, 5 more is a massive difference.

I run 8 all round on track for comparison.

Running similar to jody's although different springs.

525 rear plus helper

425 front plus helper

And would say they are firm but not reasonable for road use.

I actually bought mine for getting the front down a bit lower (and the rear) but more so front,Ive actually now ordered some lowering brackets from Eliseparts which lower the front 25mm as anything much lower than standard height in the coilovers was really harsh if you hit any bumps

Kurt why don't you have a go in mine before you decide?

Thank you Dean, that might be very beneficial. I'll message you when I'm nearer to ordering.

Cheers,

Kurt

I will give them a try on softer settings in the next week or two as well Kurt, and will feed back.

Jody remember I have Nitron Street Series - they are quite different to yours, and the spring rates are much softer, albeit still a good bit harder than the standard Billies.

Archived