litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Suspension Advice Please

DeanB

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What about the wishbones themselves? I am thinking have them blasted clean, plated (what kind of plating I dunno) and then painted in hammerite. What says those who know?

Also is it worth painting uprights? I am thinking not...and also leaving wheel bearings alone if they aren't broken?

Prob new toe links though...?

Thanks again

Dean

Dean

I had my suspension completely stripped just over a year ago and all I kept was the top and bottom wishbones which were blasted and powdercoated in black.

I replaced everything else, new track rod ends, ball joints, powerflex bushes, drop links etc, then we found that the wheel bearings were graunchy so replaced all 4.

Ended up spending a lot more than I thought, but thank god the shocks were perfect.

I had to do mine as everything was rusted to hell when I bought it and when we came to get it aligned, as she was all over the place, they couldn't budge any of the parts to free them off. The car had been originally from Scotland and they recon if it lived near the sea or had been driven on some beaches it probably did for the parts because of salt errosion.

Its as tight as a nut now. When it was all apart they found that the sump was cracked so had that replaced too, its a good job I plan on keeping the car for some time!

Jody had a good look at all four corners on mine this morning - thanks again mate - and reckons the bushes and ball joints, wishbones etc are all ok. As I suspected the right rear damper is shot though and so I am thinking of fitting NSS all round. Has anybody any experience of these?

I had NSS on mine, and swapped back to as new Billies to sell my car. Not sure how knackered they were but I wish I switched back earlier, the NSS were great on track but I stopped track days years ago and the NSS were a bit too crashy with the current state of the roads. If you are going to do a few track days a year they are good, but considering your commute I would probably stick with billies

Food for thought that Gary. I will try ringing Bilstein UK tomorrow to price up refurbing my billies, but I am fancying a change and like the idea of being able to bring the ride height down a tad, put a bit of rake in and set up the corner weights.

I had a good chat with Mike Flounders at Tollbar Racing today. His advice given my current usage was to get my Billies refurbed (cost - about £90 each plus vat) and buy some new Eibach springs (cost about £200?). His reasoning was they are decent and work well on the road plus they should last years without a service.

We also discussed Nitron Street Series and he agreed that the facility to adjust the ride height might be nice, although in his view they would need rebuilding every spring as a bare minimum, and protected throughout the winter with ACF 50.

I can get a set of NSS bought, delivered and set up straight away but would need to take the car off the road for three weeks to have the Billies refurbed and I need the car for work...

Decisions decisions....head says Billies heart says Nitrons...

Just get the Nitrons bought :)

£90 each to re build and £200 worth of new springs!! Before you know it another will go then another then......

You don't get the re bound adjustment with Billies and it is nice to have a slightly adjusted setup for the track.

Just spoke to Nitron and they recommend Street Series are rebuilt every 10,000 miles or 2 years whichever comes sooner, at a cost of £95 +vat per corner and whatever you can get it geo'd for.

Not ideal!

Dean, everything that you need.

http://www.seriouslylotus.com/featured/suspension-refresh-kit

This could get expensive!!!

There are lots of different choices out there. All have pro's and cons along with different views by different people.

I think just new shocks will make the car feel better, but with yours being so bad that isn't really hard to achieve.

You use yours as a daily, so i would avoid track focused stuff. But it would also be nice to be able to adjust the height and damping if you felt the need to.

All dampers will come with a life span. Standard ones and uprated ones. The second set never seem to last as much as the first original set.

As long as you fitted the same damper with the same spring position why would you require a fresh Geo? Geo is ideally something that should also be done periodically, but how many actually do unless their tyres are wearing uneven?

No matter what you decide there will be a compromise somewhere.

Archived