litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Suspension Advice Please

DeanB

My car is a more-or-less standard, 120 bhp K series s2 Elise. It has done 95000 miles and is my daily driver. It will probably remain so for another year at least, and I usually do 60 miles a day in it, most of which are not what you would call 'sporting' (roundabouts aside). I also do the odd Sunday morning hoon and perhaps 3 or 4 trackdays a year.

The car has developed a rather disconcerting 'shimmy' over rough surfaces and potholes especially. It seems to be a problem with the rear of the car, especially the off side. It is also rattly and crashy and seems to break traction much easier. It's horrible basically.

I think it is probably a case of worn dampers - what do you think? Could it be anything else instead/aswell?

And what dampers would people recommend for my usage profile?

Thanks in advance folks :-)

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the help chaps. Jody I might try and call round this weekend if that's convenient? Are you around Sunday morning?

My next question is what do I need for a suspension refresh? what needs doing, how long does it take etc, and please bear in mind I am on a tight budget!

Thanks again.

Dean

Dean, I would start by getting it over to Jody and checking what the problem is.

If you go down the route of suspension refresh it's all a matter of how far you want to go with it.

Bushes should be fairly inexpensive.

New standard shocks around the 400mark?

But of food for thought here:

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=140503295335

What about the wishbones themselves? I am thinking have them blasted clean, plated (what kind of plating I dunno) and then painted in hammerite. What says those who know?

Also is it worth painting uprights? I am thinking not...and also leaving wheel bearings alone if they aren't broken?

Prob new toe links though...?

Thanks again

Dean

Dean POR 15 is the stuff you want for painting the wishbones etc. i think i have some have some unopened if you want.

I had mine gold passivate coated before i painted them, which is the same as standard. I also have some of the proper P-80 emulsion to get the bushes in as per the lotus manual.

I will check what i have in the garage tonight

also there are some billies going on seloc

http://classifieds.seloc.org/ads/parts-clearout/

Thanks Sheldon. You certainly made a very nice job of yours - I remember Michael at Tollbar Racing complementing you on the excellent state of your running gear (not a euphemism)!

I'm not keen on a set of 24000 mile old dampers though - I would prefer to find the money for new.

Archived