litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

New Car Show On Channel 5

Daveb99

Looks like a quality show, starts 5th Feb on Channel 5.

Some seriously nice motors, great celebrity contributors, and part of me misses the whole Quentin Wilson Top Gear era, I like my car shows to be about cars sometimes ;)

The preview trailer looks great. Jodie Kidd is a proper petrol head. There's an S1 Esprit making an appearance at some point..

http://www.infinitycml.com/projects/the-classic-car-show-top/

http://www.classiccarshow.com

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Not too bad, for a new show.

I like Quintin and his predictions for certain cars (Bentley Turbo R, Lancer Evo, etc). What I disliked was the presenter called Matt, who ironically, couldn't pronounce his T's.

Jodie Kidd seemed very taken with the Ferrari 250 California.

I'll be watching next week...

It wasn't too bad. I enjoyed the pieces about the Mustang and TR7 and also the barn find segment. I did feel that much of the rest of the show was style over content, especially the piece about the two Mercedes at fashion week. It is difficult to not be taken in by the 300SL, though. I'm keeping an open mind and hoping for more true car enthusiast orientated content next week.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm starting to find this show a bit too "staged". There doesn't seem to be any real cohesion between Kidd and Wilson. Naturally I'll keep watching it because I like classics, and it's better than the other tripe on at the same time.

Wilson is far too slimy. He's also an ex-con. Was convicted of clocking cars many years ago when he had a dealership. He was up in court just round the corner form me in Coalville Magistrates apparently!

I'm starting to find this show a bit too "staged". There doesn't seem to be any real cohesion between Kidd and Wilson. Naturally I'll keep watching it because I like classics, and it's better than the other tripe on at the same time.

I must agree, they are a bit wooden, but I think its a good show. Can't really see what the point of Bruno Senna driving various old cars round the test track is for, as they are not comparable cars. Loved the bit about the history of Range Rover and the Monaco classic.

Its nice to see a programme dedicated to classics not new stuff, but that means it probably won't last, sadly, as it will be classed as too boring by all those who spend hours watching a group of nobodies spending weeks in a house throwing insults at each other!rolleyes.gif .

Boring old fart signing offlaugh.png

I think the basis of the show is a great idea. Shows like Wheeler Dealers and Chasing Classic Cars prove people have an interest in classics. I do agree with Kurt though, the presenters lack chemistry and without that the show will struggle. A shame, as much of the content is enjoyable.

Much better last night was Idris Elba's King of Speed on Dave Ja Vu. I've never heard of the chap, but warned to him straight away.

The program featured a £7M Veyron (reg plate F1!), drag racing in the states, the Cannonball run and the origins of the Cafe Racer at the Ace Cafe. A feature on the original Monte Carlo Mini, 6R4 and Mini Countryman WRC was pretty good too. Recommended!

I agree the Idris Elba thing is pretty good. I saw one of them where he was being taught to drive a rally car on loose surfaces in Finland by Ari Vatanen and his son. He was pretty poor to start with - he even rolled iirc - but was really determined and got loads better. I was really rooting for him at the end, and it captured a lot of what fast driving is all about for me.

Much better last night was Idris Elba's King of Speed on Dave Ja Vu. I've never heard of the chap, but warned to him straight away.

Kurt you really should make a point of watching  "Luther " well worth it ! Ruth Wison also plays a brilliant part as Alice.

Archived