litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

New Discs Pads Fluid. Bed In Period?

KurtB

I have always thought, geek that I am, that it would be good to do a proper test day and back to back different tyre pressures, damper settings and so on to see what does what laptime.

In the real world though I would suggest that 24 front and 26 rear (hot) is a good starting place for tyres. As for understeer/oversteer (wombling free?!?) remember that by reducing understeer in slower corners using, e.g, stiffer damper settings or anti roll bar settings on the front, you will make the rear of the car feel less stable in higher speed corners. Likely even shit-your-pants unstable. It is always a compromise. As I am not Lewis I prefer to sacrifice a bit of turn-in positivity at slower speeds for a more confidence inspiring rear end at higher speeds. It is worth it for the reduction in laundry bills. You can drive round a lot of the lower speed understeer by trail braking, which isn't as difficult or scary as it sounds.

As a rule of thumb, if you are getting too much oversteer for your taste/ability try softening the rear and/or stiffening the front dampers. The reverse if it's understeer. And always ask yourself at what speed is your car demonstrating these characteristics? remember that a set up is always a compromise between how your car will handle on fast and slow corners.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That sounds like a plan Dean, though I have another to add (scarily). You may not be Lewis, but you can steer, so what say next time I'm out on track I give you a shout and you have a go? I could mess around all day changing this and that and still be no better off. Just an idea...

Archived