litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

New Discs Pads Fluid. Bed In Period?

KurtB

Morning Peeps,

I've got my first trackdays of the year on Sunday after a 3 year absence due to a loud exhaust. Now that's (sort of) complete, I've ordered new discs CL RC5+ pads and Castrol brake fluid.

I can't find information on line about how long the pads will need to bed in, other than its a short time.

I was thinking 200 miles, does anyone who's fitted them have a better ballpark?

Cheers,

Kurt

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can bed pads and discs in much quicker. (200 miles is quoted to ordinary folk as a rough estimate for normal road driving)

Different manufacturers quote different regimes but most track pads are along the lines of...

First a couple of gentle brake applications to ensure pads are completely flat to disc, then Braking from 70-30mph 8-10 times in a row with a light - medium pressure.

Then 70-30 mph 5 times with medium - high pressure, then let the discs cool a while before coming to a complete stop.

I tend to go out at night onto a quiet dual carriageway.

If you've done it right the unswept part of the disc will become a blue tempered colour.

Edit. Here is a link to the pagid website (I remembered it about right...). http://www.pagidracing.com/fileadmin/pagidracing/content_data/downloads/pagid_bedding_in_procedure.pdf

Hi Kurt,

I am doing basically the same as you. 

New RC5+ all round and brake fluid change ready for my 1st track day of the year on Monday.

Looks like the CB pads do not require any specific bedding in unlike the Pagids. See link below.

http://www.eliseparts.com/products/show/22/996/carbone-lorraine-rc5-bbk-brake-pads/

I will go up and down the road a few times once all fitted, then continue during the sighting laps on the day.

CL pads claim to need no real bedding in due to the compound materials. I'm sure when I got mine it said to basically do a couple of enthusiastic stops from about 60-70 mph and that was that.

Can't find any instructions on the net though. Found this on a SELOC thread: CLs do have a bedding in process though....3 or 4, 70 mph down to 5mph stops, one after another, do not actually stop.

Kurt prepare to be amazed !

I hope the difference is night and day mate really. When I fitted Pagid RS42 on my Elise after removing the previously fitted Greenstuff tat (seriously, who thinks they're acceptable??!?), I was stunned.

I fitted RS14 to the Exige to up the game a bit but as it mostly does road driving I've been a bit disappointed really. The front pads are all gummed up in the slots between the friction material, prob because the never get hot enough. I'm hoping to have all the bits by Saturday then off to Blyton for sh!ts and giggles....

Rs14 are great on track, but do lack a bit of initial bite when totally cold. (Although imo still more bite than standard)

Just remember if you have carbon Lorraine to check them regularly, as people have had problems with the friction material crumbling or large chunks dropping off.

I've fitted the discs, pads, bled the hydraulics, fitted the 2bular (I'm still waiting for a tailpipe that sits square though (Hint Hint Jim!)), and it's been sitting in a garage where the kitchen fitter used his chop saw, so is filthy. However, this afternoon, the dust will be blown away, the brakes bedded in, and then washed off prior to its track day on Sunday. I'm looking forward to it, it's been way too long due to an expanding family and a non compliant exhaust (was 107db at 4000rpm). I hope you guys are all correct about the CL pads.... Very happy!

post-4214-0-72116800-1422014229_thumb.jpg

Kurt prepare to be amazed !

Chuff me! The pedal is firm. The bite is sharp and I can lock them at silly speeds just by breathing on the pedal a bit hard. What a VAST improvement already, Ill see what they're like on the track. I got some smoke off them today and a blue tinge to the discs, but stopping power was awesome! The only thing wrong with them is that they're a bit noisy, but I can live with that.

Thanks guys,

Kurt

Great news. I have fitted my new set along with new Gulf R800 brake fluid. Have not had chance to test them up the road yet though. Been raining here today. Hopefully get chance Over the weekend to bed in.

If I get chance I may take a ride up to Blyton. Great track.

Archived