litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Elise Probax Retrofit

kayj_prod

Seeing as I've decided that I'm going to make time to go on a road trip with Elsie this year (and the current idea floating in my head is Norway), I figured I should look at just bumping up the comfort level a touch.  

I got in touch with Allon White to see if it is possible to retrofit the Probax seat shape within my existing seats.  Fortunately it is and for a not too unreasonable amount of money even for the pair.  I was a little worried when, after sending a photo of my seats, they said they'd need to buy a whole hide in!  Turns out they can use the existing materials though, but I'll end up with additional stitching as per the Probax design.

So this evening I've uncovered Elsie from her hibernation and removed the seats.  (A shame that the most exciting thing I found underneath was a single penny!)  Not too length a task other than the near side rear bolt for the passenger seat which had me hunting around for a long extension piece for my ratchet driver.  

post-3273-0-80563200-1421574867_thumb.jpg

The seats are now a comfortable addition in my kitchen waiting for me to take them down to Bedford next week.  Here's hoping I can appreciate the difference seeing as they're going to look pretty much the same.

post-3273-0-60289700-1421574886_thumb.jpg

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My solution to noise is to wear my ear-plugs on long trips.  I don't particularly like the idea of adding weight with dynamat, and although I can appreciate there should be some reduction in resonance from the firewall, I can't see that I'd be able to add enough mass to do anything other than reduce some upper mid frequency.  I suspect at cruise most of that is from wind noise anyway.  

Maybe I should have just bought a Europa!

A friend of mine drove around Norway last summer and took in some fantastic scenery and roads.  I'm thinking a Lotus based camping trip will be great fun.

My solution to noise is to wear my ear-plugs on long trips.  I don't particularly like the idea of adding weight with dynamat, and although I can appreciate there should be some reduction in resonance from the firewall, I can't see that I'd be able to add enough mass to do anything other than reduce some upper mid frequency.  I suspect at cruise most of that is from wind noise anyway.

You really don't need a lot of Dynamat to make a difference, and it's not *that* heavy !

Don't forget that ear-plugs mean you can hear less of other road users as well (including someone giving you a warning beep on the horn ?).

I did Dynamat and carpets.  The Dynamat got rid of some low frequency by mass-loading the panels (I did the floorpan, the fuel tank 'cover' and the big airbox that I used to have), and the carpets did a job with high frequency, especially all those small stones that get rattled against the floor.

You've got a lot more power than me to make up for the added weight!  cool.png  Agreed about the ear-plugs, but I can change the filters in mine to adjust the amount of attenuation I get.  -15dB has seemed a good compromise.  

Which version of Dynamat did you use and how much did you need to cover those areas?  I thought it was something crazy like 4kg/m2.

Which version of Dynamat did you use and how much did you need to cover those areas?  I thought it was something crazy like 4kg/m2.

I just got it from Halfrauds.  I didn't know there were different weights.  I did a patch about 8" square under each seat, about 12"x8" on the front (sloping) panel of the fuel tank cover and I did the whole of the big airbox.

I didn't do any of the footwell panels, although that would probably help as well.

You need a warm day to apply it - if you buy the roll rather than the sheets, you risk it cracking as you unroll it.  Also it helps to warm the glue with a hairdrier.  Obviously, having an S1, I had to use a hot-air gun as I don't own a hairdrier.

It's not something I've researched as it wasn't even on my todo list... but it can't make it noisier so worth a look while the seats are out as you both suggested. 

I'll stop by Halfrauds at some point and check the stuff out.  If I do then I'll have to do some SPL tests for comparison.

• 1 month later...

Update:  my seats arrived back from Allon White today... unfortunately, possibly thanks to the courier pretty much just dropping them at my front door -maybe not the first handler to do so judging by the state of the box- one has been damaged in transit.  Grrr.  Anyway, Julie at Allon White has been really quick at sorting it out and the damaged seat is going back tomorrow.  (I'm glad to note that the courier company admitted responsibility.)

Haven't done anything about dynamat yet...

Bloomin' couriers! 

Archived