litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

S1 Headlight Bulb Needs Changing

nordberg

Hi all,

I noticed this morning when I was bumper to bumper with another car as I crawled through Derby City Centre that my drivers side headlamp bulb has gone. So I thought I would pop on here and try and find a how to guide to replacing the bulb.FAQ \ wiki seems a bit difficult to navigate and didn't seem to come up with any hits on the search side of things blink.png . So my question is how difficult is it to change the bulbs on an S1 Elise? Any help or guidance appreciated smile.png

Andy

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi all,

I noticed this morning when I was bumper to bumper with another car as I crawled through Derby City Centre that my drivers side headlamp bulb has gone. So I thought I would pop on here and try and find a how to guide to replacing the bulb.FAQ \ wiki seems a bit difficult to navigate and didn't seem to come up with any hits on the search side of things blink.png . So my question is how difficult is it to change the bulbs on an S1 Elise? Any help or guidance appreciated smile.png

Andy

jack car up.

Remove wheel

Peel back arch liner

Remove electrical connection

Remove water seal

You will then see to metal retaining clips, these under from the top and fold downwards.

Then remove the bulb.

To refit it's just the reverse.

If you are local to derby I'm happy to pop round n help if you need it.

Alex, Dan, Keith,

Thanks for your responses. I will have a go at doing it myself (Cheers Alex) through the access panel. TBH I wasn't sure where you gained access to the bulb so it's been a great help just to know that that's where I need to look. smile.png  

Even with the wheel fully over, I still find it easier to pull back the wheelarch liner than faff around with the access grommet.  Once you've pulled it back, you can get one arm in to hold it back - easy to check everything around the headlight then as well.

Upgrade all the bulbs while you are doing it.  Replace all of them so you don't have to do it again next month - and use bulbs like Osram Nightbreakers or equivalent.  If you replace the sidelight bulbs with LEDs - get good ones, the cheap ones don't last long.

Don't buy the bulbs from Halfords - you will find them on the net for half the price

I have my cheap ebay led's on all the time I drive the car, never had an issue with them failing (on my 2nd set in about 10 years, only changed the last ones as the newer LED's were brighter) I have an S1

I put really cheap (<£3 a pair) LED on and they lasted about a week and the replacements didn't work at all - maybe I was unlucky, but changing them is such a faff that I would rather spend a bit more and not have to worry about them

• 2 weeks later...

Archived