litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Toelink Paranoia

DanP

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hadn't heard of the uprated kits having issues.

I've got some other jobs for that car so will be checking the kits as mine is also an Elise shop kit purchased around a similar time.

Yep, mine broke at le mans. Route cause was people who did the alignment set the ball joint in locked position.

And the joints have to be regularly lubicated, they have to be very well maintained which is not broadcast well by manufacturers...

Yep, mine broke at le mans. Route cause was people who did the alignment set the ball joint in locked position.

And the joints have to be regularly lubicated, they have to be very well maintained which is not broadcast well by manufacturers...

Done some reading up on the kit, will be checking mine and doing any maintenance that's required this weekend just for peace of mind.

The one I broke was a Spitfire (old S1 design). Performans who prepares and races in the Lotus cup told me that my toe link failure was not the only one they saw with that kit...

What ever kit you use, keep maintaining these joints, they are not seal and can jam if meticulous maintenance is not carried out.

For ease, my toe link kit is now an hybrid... It uses the original fastening bits and bushes from Spitfire (nothing wrong with that), the EP 1/2" threaded bar and proper motorsport joints I get from Merlin motorsport (10miles down the road).

The reason I went for this solution is convenience, the original 5/8" left thread chassis joint from the spitfire kit (again, that's the old design) was getting some play and I needed to change it but these specific thread is not easy to find.

Garry at Spitfire (great guy) sorted me out twice but it's not easy want when you need a 24hrs turn around, it is difficult.  

Archived