litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Any Advice On A Project Car

richbk

Hi folks

Anyone have any thoughts / comments on the below

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/lotus/elise-s1/lotus-elise-111s-45-000-mls-spice-yellow-not-used-for-5-years/3041450

Seems like a decent project car, but not sure what the v5 issues could lead too when selling on etc. if I ever did. Anyone dealt with the garage before as not heard of them ?

Will have some more time on my hands in the new year with a job change so fancy a garage buddy for the Exige ???

Rich

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doesn't seem like a major job ! 

Assuming V5 can be sorted prior to purchase, I can't see it being an issue on selling.

Maybe a touch steep for a "project car" although if the ad didn't say that, it's probably sell easily enough at that price.  Low miles, cosmetic work needed and V5 to sort = not hard and decent value.

cheers guys

the 111s seems rare at the mo, so figure any car for sale carries a premium ?

i figure a straight car runs to 12k min at present, unless anyone is selling something cheaper?

the vvc no doubt will need some attention .....q alex comments ?

although longer term i might look at a japanese replacement ?

any knowledge of the garage ??

cheers

rich

Known and respected garage selling it. I'd have no issues buying from him.

Price seems typical for a trade sale. I would expect 7-8k if sold as a private sale project, but slight mark up expected due to being a trader.

The fact it has passed an MOT gives some reassurance that at least the essentials are ok (depends how much you value an MOT I suppose).

It would be interesting to know what sort of come back he is offering as a trade sale.....

Seems okish to me although the yellow interior is bloody awful!

it seems to be genuinely low mileage which is good. Probably a good base to tidy up and use as a standard, occasional use car (and a good investment). If you are thinking of Honda-ing in future though why pay the premium for a 111s?

cheers

dean

like the rarity of the 111s , although not sure if only difference to standard is the engine ?? i assume its got a few other bits, need to do my research.

i figure the vvc might be worth a few quid to put against the conversion...particulary as they get rarer as people keep breaking them :)

elaine

i assume after 5 yrs it will need a bit of work, but have a talented mate who does all my exige work so costs would be low, and even fancy getting involved myself, although he won't let me near his spanners for some reason !!

agreed on the interior, but that could change over time, trying to persuade the missus that tiller b5's are an absolute necessity for the exile, so could put the exile seats in the elise, then new door cards etc.

it all makes man sense :)

Seems pricey to me Rich, won't take much to put it straight. I'd say its the right model to go for but the interior is shocking on that one. I think I went to look at that car years ago, was for sale in the West Midlands but can't be sure.

There is a grands worth of paint plus another grands worth of bits to fix, brakes, bushes etc, then the interior, noting the lack of history, there does not seem that much in it even if your mate is Ed China

elaine

i assume after 5 yrs it will need a bit of work, but have a talented mate who does all my exige work so costs would be low, and even fancy getting involved myself, although he won't let me near his spanners for some reason !!

Projects never tend to be as cheap as you expect/hope. And that's when you carry out all of the work yourself, I dread to think of the escalated costs if you're having to pay someone else, even if you only paid them minimum wage. wink.png  I'd look at kitting your own garage out, then doing all of the work yourself if you do take on any project car. smile.png

Archived