litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Driving Standards

Eric

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The odd brake light being on really doesn't bother me. To be honest it's the aggressive, discurtious, it's everybody else's fault but mine attitude on the road that I find the biggest problem. I see it daily. People flashing lights and shouting obscenities which they wouldn't do face to face.

Where does the 20% of braking on the back wheels comment come from ?  I think that applies to braking while moving and it accounts for the mass transfer to the front.  In a stationary Elise with about 68% of the mass on the rear wheels the handbrake - acting on the rear wheels will still give more than 50% of the total braking force available through all 4 wheels.

My old Land Rover (it was a real one before they went plastic - leaf springs, split windscreen) had a handbrake that acted on the prop shaft through a 5th brake drum - so if you had 4 wheel drive selected, you had a 4 wheel handbrake.  Down side was that if you pulled on the Handbrake while moving you broke a rear half-shaft - I got pretty slick at changing half shafts over the years, I made a special tool.

Kurt is correct, foot comes off brake pedal after a shunt which could create even more problems.

driving standards are a lot worse or probably the amount of traffic on the roads today amplifies it, hence why I gave up motorcycling

I motorcycled for 2 years Jake, having been inspired by TT Closer to the Edge. A pensioner who pulled out of a T junction to my left a few yards up the road from me, then STOPPED, blocking both lanes, put paid to motorcycling for me. I have responsibilities to my family and the dullard simply couldn't accept he was at fault. Frightening...

Kurt

The craziest accident I ever heard of happened to a friend of mine.  His car was parked at the top of his drive, an elderly woman who was visiting next door was parked on the road, she put the car in reverse by mistake and panicked a bit -drove backwards at speed, turned the wheel, reversed up his drive and into his car.  His neighbour told him not to be too hard on her as her eyes weren't that good any more.  he had a bit of an argument with the insurance company but in the end they agreed it was a "No Fault" claim!!

As lots of cars are automatic and have stop / start which you need to keep foot on brake.

Mine has this, applying the hand brake (or foot brake in my case as it's a Merc) and putting in to park is a pain in the a*se to do every time I stop at lights etc.

Mine has this, applying the hand brake (or foot brake in my case as it's a Merc) and putting in to park is a pain in the a*se to do every time I stop at lights etc.

I don't think you mean that...

The craziest accident I ever heard of happened to a friend of mine.  His car was parked at the top of his drive, an elderly woman who was visiting next door was parked on the road, she put the car in reverse by mistake and panicked a bit -drove backwards at speed, turned the wheel, reversed up his drive and into his car.  His neighbour told him not to be too hard on her as her eyes weren't that good any more.  he had a bit of an argument with the insurance company but in the end they agreed it was a "No Fault" claim!!

Ian I realise this must have been pretty shitty for your matebut for everyone else it is really funny! I would have wet myself if I had seen it! what are the chances?

If your foot is on the brake, then your brake lights are on. Less chance of being shunted from behind by someone not paying enough attention. Apart from that, I don't see that it makes much difference.

See my comments above. The handbrake is the answer. If you rely on brake lights being on to see a car on the road ahead of you, you really ought to surrender your license.

Archived