litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Sump Baffle - Yes Or No ?

@ndy

I will be building a new K series engine over the next month or so wondered if the EP baffled sump would be a good idea?

My car is mostly used on track these days so my questions are -

Is a sump baffle really required in K series in an Elise ?

Is the Eliseparts baffle OK, I see some people have had problems ?

What are the downsides of fitting a sump baffle ?

Cheers Andy.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Questions on whether or not it (or the DVA) on should be welded in. General consensus is that it shouldn't.

Can't see a downside if you have the engine stripped anyway. Should reduce the risk of losing oil on hard left-handers at least.

Andy, if you are doing it yourself i would fit one. AFAIK its a DVA design. Get it from him and ask for tips on fitting? I would be very reluctant to weld one in.

Edit, are you going the whole hog with this one?      :)

Looking a James' report on Seloc, the welded version seems to suffer of fatigue failure.

On elises, providing the oil lever remains at max, it should be fine. in the elise, the baffle doesn't seem to be an issue however, it the caterhams, it can be.

I've done a fair amount of trackdays without issues.

Last year, mindful of the low risk of oil starvation, instead of fitting a baffled sump, I put a low oil pressure warning sensor as fitted on race cars (radical for example); it's a 21 psi rather than the EP 13psi (STD rover is 7 or 8 from memory). Due to the aluminium chassis and "lovely" earthing on elises, it starts to blip @ 28/30psi. So when at idle, it blips but as soon as you rev above 1200rpm, it doesn't. 

On Track if will show is the oil pressure goes down in fast corners before damages happen.   

So I spoke with Dave who said that all the failures he knows about were due to poor installation, either due to them being welded in or welded together or clearance issues with the sump as occasionally some minor fettling may be required especially on later sumps. He has supplied to many racers/engine builders who have had no problems

He says they can be a bit fiddly to fit if working under the car but apart from that all OK so I cant see the downside and will be fitting one in my new engine.

I have the low oil pressure sensor mentioned above and sometimes see it flicker on tick-over after a hot session on track.

So I spoke with Dave who said that all the failures he knows about were due to poor installation, either due to them being welded in or welded together or clearance issues with the sump as occasionally some minor fettling may be required especially on later sumps. He has supplied to many racers/engine builders who have had no problems

He says they can be a bit fiddly to fit if working under the car but apart from that all OK so I cant see the downside and will be fitting one in my new engine.

I have the low oil pressure sensor mentioned above and sometimes see it flicker on tick-over after a hot session on track.

So what's you decision Andy ?

Sump baffle ordered from Eliseparts..... Price was the same from DVA

I think I'm gonna give fitting a sump baffle a miss for now. As I've read a few horror stories with regards poor fitting, and I know what my luck is like.

I think I'm gonna give fitting a sump baffle a miss for now. As I've read a few horror stories with regards poor fitting, and I know what my luck is like.

I had the same fears, However after speaking with Dave these have been alleviated.... As with anything, If fitted incorrectly you will have problems

Archived