litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Which Airfilter/airbox With Jenvey's?

AlanS1

As with a few of us i am also carrying out a few little winter mods/upgrades.

I am using Jenvey's with a Bernard air box, a length of hose and a open filter tucked near to the px side scoop. (a typical set up)

This does not look that great and the actual air filter will still be drawing in heat from the engine bay even with a large pipe from the side scoop pointing toward it.(my current set up)

My question is what solutions have any of you done?

Thinking of maybe going down the route of a closed air filter similar to the ITG?

Does anyone know if the type of air filter or location has effected the characteristics of the engine power/torque on the dyno?

Thanks Alan

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was my setup and it was good for 200+bhp on the original engine. Not sure heat is an issue. I added the EP side scoops as well. It pulled hard to 8k rpm in 4th. Ran out of 'track' before seeing how far it would go in 5th. 8k rpm is 140mph os a standard box.

I have this set up on my Exige. It managed 218bhp on the rollers and has shown no negative effects whilst idling in a dawdling Le Mans town centre with 30 deg C ambient temps. I think the positive air pressure from the side duct helps keep the engine bay heat away from the intake in the move. I was going to fit an aluminium plate between the bay and the intake, but haven't got around to it yet.

Has no one tried any alternatives then?

My gut feeling is that what's already out there seems to be good enough for where you'd want to take a K-series.

I have noticed that EP new curved trumpets and air box set up is using a closed air filer set up. So there maybe something in it?

Have they posted any RR figures ?  If not, why not ?

Just my 2p.  Why re-design something that's already more than adequate for the vast majority of situations ?

"My gut feeling is that what's already out there seems to be good enough for where you'd want to take a K-series."

So trying to optimise what you have is to use what everyone else has?  I am one for looking at things a little different. If nothing is improved i can always go back to the norm.

"Have they posted any RR figures ?  If not, why not ?

Just my 2p.  Why re-design something that's already more than adequate for the vast majority of situations ?"

There is a long post on SELOC actually where gains have been recorded, but this was to keep the boot as standard, but still allow the rest. This set up included a closed air filter.

Basically i know what i have works, but surely getting as much cold air to the intake is going to help? After all we all know that the cooler the intake air the more efficient and power a engine will be.

Was just wondering if any one else had tried something else.

Sorry Alan, wasn't meant to sound belittling.  I was just thinking that if the standard stuff available is good for well over 200bhp, where's the need to get into the "much more £££ for little extra bang" slippery slope ?

I haven't ready the SELOC thread - will have a look (although I've gone Audi, I still loved the K when I had it.  Two cambelt failures - enough was enough).

The side scoops certainly helped mine - both power from the LHS scoop and alternator cooling from the RHS.  I got mine in gel-coat and had the sprayed the same colour as the car, but that's because I don't particularly like CF (which was the only alternative at the time).

I have wondered about the Hurricane induction before.  I had it on the previous car (pretty standard S1) and loved the noise and slight power it gave.  It has a dedicated air pipe from the rear clam inlet to the air filter, but you would obviously lose any 'spare' air cooling to the engine bay once you force it all into the air inlet filter.  That might well work well with the Auto-Teknix airbox if the pipework diameters work.

No worries, I was just trying to see if anyone had actually tried something different on the RR and seen any difference.

I have a CDA air box (was free) that I may try when I get to the stage of the RR. If it isn't what I need i could always put the standard set up back in and see what difference there is.

I already have the scoops fitted and I noticed a slight improvement on my old engine (this may have just been in my mind though)

Maybe even moving the filter closer to the air box or further away may alter power delivery?

Then again all the above may make no difference at all.

Can't wait to get it all finished now and see what it does.

Have you got used to the extra power of the Audi unit yet?

The EP kit was developed for the S2 because of the boot and boot lock configuration. Mine made 194 bhp. DVA reckons with a proper induction length it would make 210 bhp. Im not prepared to butcher the boot and boot lid to get this. The EP kit may well give me the extra. It probably works out at 2K all in though.

The optimum for the K is 2 x 150mm outer trumpets and 2 x 90mm inner ones IIRC and is well known. You can fit these on a S1 with very little work. Sorry for the slight thread drift     :)

Kurt your car is the most! And you are so modest about it - I probably knew you for 2 years before I found out it was a 1.9 scholar, and now you drop the 218 bomb! Marvelous! !

You are too kind sir. If the driver was tuned as much as the engine it would be one very capable combination. I'll illustrate my biffery at a track day next summer

Archived