litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Mini Rebuild...

Alex B

I wouldn't really call it a advantage. Out of 4 bolts he snapped 2. In reality cost me more time than if i did it all myself.

He is very good at cleaning though. My bulkhead is now nearly spotless :)

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I buy the oil filters off ebay in 10,s normally. They are OE filters and you get them at a reasonable price. I only use OE as i had a spurious make one come loose once after being tightened correctly. Luckily i spotted it before it ruined the engine.

Not many photo's from tonight's work.

However the engine is now out and waiting to have a few bits removed to put on the new engine.

6d3a52f2fce79270733d3ec1a49e5602.jpg

9b7f619f6a807828c916dbe05926480a.jpge89914ff9672750e6e98df9683d5d5dd.jpg

Big thanks to Jody and Alan for helping lift the engine out.

An evening of cleaning the bay and stripping the old engine to look forward to today!

Yes it is the pipe that goes up to the charcoal canister. Been cut and bodged together. Don't happen to have a spare do you?

Alex, you can remove the charcoal canister (see manual XA section); it saves a couple of Kgs

Alex, you can remove the charcoal canister (see manual XA section); it saves a couple of Kgs

Cheers Bill

We had a quick discussion about this last night but I wasn't sure if it was needed or not.

Might as well remove it.

Alex, do you want some proper slings to put it back in? Some people also say there is a smell of petrol with the canister removed? Let me know as i cant decided weather to remove mine     smile.png

only on very hot day ;)  when vapour pressure is greater.

Alex, do you want some proper slings to put it back in? Some people also say there is a smell of petrol with the canister removed? Let me know as i cant decided weather to remove mine :)

I have a pair of slings however the engine was sumpless when I removed it. So we struggled with the getting the tension right. Also the hook on the crane is a little small. Ideally needed a D shackle, which I've now acquired.

Engine and box separated. Clutch and fly wheel removed.

8fb8d73bd48d458796cd36d10934229a.jpg

Empty bay, awaiting it's clean down on Friday morning.

d9f1b5459f19343b7a0c1db1d45f3a45.jpg

Getting closer every night.

Fridays jobs consist of washing the bay.

Removing my solid cams ready to swap over.

Get new engine to the garage, start swapping bits over

Had a day off today so spent a little bit more time tinkering...

Washed the bay down.

And re zip tied all the wiring.

6d847d7f7369f4073cafe39045d909a7.jpg

Removed the solid cams

71a18410db80c1d346e7a7ae3ce0639f.jpg

71c8145d6e8590995dc5ee442c6b1751.jpg

Found a new engine...

1a37d9cdd94cf383d43c82c452574bb9.jpg

3e48def7dab5499d29448976065ed3a8.jpg

b114ae9b4762c1ecbad26638c982949f.jpg

Removed 4brand and gear box off the new engine.

c6c0f983e1fa1d5caa112cdd944ec69d.jpg

Also managed to kill the nut gun I borrowed... OOPPPS

That does look like a very clean engine that you have managed to get hold of there.

It's not far off spotless.

Just cams + belts and my lightened fly wheel to swap over. The compare the two ap clutches.

Alex, i have a machined down crank pulley if you want it. However if the assembly on the new engine was balanced as a whole you may be better off sticking with the old one. If it was you may upset the balance slightly changing the flywheel? Is the one on the new engine a standard flywheel?

I also now have a load of replated bolts if they are any use? Dont forget do not throw anything away    smile.png

Edit, i would also consider a new release bearing. Paint the backstays and check lower left corner of the firewall behind the heatshield for corrosion whilst you are there. Good luck.

Archived