litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Exige Wobble...

KurtB

My gratuity from leaving the mob is in today. I had a little quiet time earlier and reflected that I could exchange my S1 Exige and put in £15K and get an S3 Exige Roadster. Hmmmmm.....

(Truthfully I could never do it, I LOVE my S1, despite its faults).

Kurt

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have you got room for another car? If so you could buy an Elan +2. An appreciating classic that all three of you could have a ride out in.

I like Dean's plan. (though I'd probably want something completely different if having two cars, maybe a classic luxo barge)

The S1 Exige will be appreciating  too, but the S3 will continue downwards for a while yet. So no rush!

Have you got room for another car? If so you could buy an Elan +2. An appreciating classic that all three of you could have a ride out in.

I've got the room Dean, but the wifelet won't wash it. We have got 3 cars and that's enough of a commitment really. I don't want to end up like my dad who has an S1 E Type, Triumph GT6 and MG Midget and hardly drives them, such a waste....

Your comments are all correct about the S3, the pull to my S1 is just too great. I have consumed litres of ale just sitting in the garage looking at it. I love driving it hard, I like it has the ability to get people talking (to me, about it), I like the positive comments from the average Joe who knows little about the marque. Now what I ought to be doing with some of the funds is replacing the worn discs and pads, and considering a bit of paintwork (but it's onerous and it'll only get chipped again)...

Kurt,

dont live in the past move forward the V6 Exige is much more than just a more powerful car, it is better equipped and much better finnished, I like many at the facory would go as far as saying the best Lotus built so far. 

take a back (S1) to back (V6) demo drive and you will be parting with your S1 and your cash.

I also like luxo barges. I have a secret XJS fetish.

My Mum had a V12 one when I was a teenager. It was lucky to get double digit MPG's, and was always requiring expensive repairs :( I do remember the keys being left one night when I was 17, but the less said about that the better.

Before that my parents had an XJ Vanden Plas (4.2 IIRC, I would have still been at primary school). I do remember it had a full length retractable roof (vinyl of course).  I think it would be  my choice ;)

I've got my Jaguars mixed up! I was thinking XJR, the current one. I don't know if that's better or worse in terms of image, but I really do like them. (Runs for cover...)

Spoke to my old man, this is what they had:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/classiccars/8383419/Classic-Jaguar-XJ6-Series-1-review.html

White, with red leather interior and red vinyl roof. Manual gearbox (which was optional extra), as well as two fuel tanks, with a switch to choose which one to use. The roof wasn't factory standard, but done by a coach builder (straight off the production line)

It would be a very cool car if it was still around today, unfortunately he sold it to a guy who within a week put it into a ditch.

I'm tempted to track one down for nostalgias sake biggrin.png

Archived