litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Evora S As A Daily Winter Drive

darryl

Actually an S with IPS as a daily car 100M round trip; urban, city, motorway/dual carriage way then city again and return journey in reverse (you don't say!!).

Best have a set of winter tyres?

Comments please?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

dont see why not with the winter rubber.

but i dont know how much fun it would be, i think it might take the edge of your enjoyment of the car long term

if funds allow id looks for a 5/6 yr old modeo / skoda octovia  £4/5 ki reckon with high milage, and be sure to make the journey in poor conditions and not be constantly concerened that the car is going to be damaged by your actions or others.

all my freinds with bmw's and audi's curse the bad weather performance of there cars. i run a mazda 2 diesel 130 miles a day over similar roads to your comute including back roads in staffs moorlands and its never failed to get me to where im going, but its not as comfortable or refined as bigger cars, but has many a time passed more exotic machinery stranded in snow.

Actually an S with IPS as a daily car 100M round trip; urban, city, motorway/dual carriage way then city again and return journey in reverse (you don't say!!).

Best have a set of winter tyres?

Comments please?

New car Darryl?

Wouldn't fancy it personally. Like richbk says, it might detract from your long term enjoyment of the car.

I'd look for an affordable fwd or 4x4 and enjoy the confidence you'd have in the possibly crappy weather.

I ran an Exige 220 as a DD for 5 years, all seasons.

I didn't have a big problem with it even on AO48s, but I wasn't doing 100 mile commutes (15 max).  

You are going to rack up a lot of miles at that rate, and it might even pay you to run a diesel eco box purely on what you'll recoup on residuals.

dont see why not with the winter rubber.

but i dont know how much fun it would be, i think it might take the edge of your enjoyment of the car long term

if funds allow id looks for a 5/6 yr old modeo / skoda octovia  £4/5 ki reckon with high milage, and be sure to make the journey in poor conditions and not be constantly concerened that the car is going to be damaged by your actions or others.

all my freinds with bmw's and audi's curse the bad weather performance of there cars. i run a mazda 2 diesel 130 miles a day over similar roads to your comute including back roads in staffs moorlands and its never failed to get me to where im going, but its not as comfortable or refined as bigger cars, but has many a time passed more exotic machinery stranded in snow.

Rich, we have the Skoda for when the snow is already on the ground. but we would like to use the evora in winter when there is no snow on the ground/or at least when we leave home, if it snows later oh well!

Paul, yes we are looking at parting with the Elise for the Evora ips s.

Chris, looking forward to your feedback on the winter tyres. 

Archived