litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

135 Mgtf Cams Fitted To My Std S1

jody391

I tried a 4-2-1 and it did seem to be better, however as it was a QED it was slip jointed and leaked.

Dobbo what's the damage on the manifold?

The EP one is also slip jointed but it didn't leak for me.  Made fitting a doddle.

They're £600+VAT new, so I was asking £300 for the manifold.

The EBD silencer would be another £200 but I'm sure there's wiggle room for the pair...

They were both fitted when I was running my first K-series at 200+bhp, so you'll not need to upgrade again (I know what the slippery slope is like !).

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh yes!

Some say the 135 also has head work but.. I'm not sure it's a definite.

It's definitely got more poke!

there were 2 kits called 135:

-the MG (similar to the PTP) which was based around a cam swap only. It does 135/140 bhp

- the lotus which was also called Stage2 in the manual, motorsport XA.14.

the lotus kit came with a new head (a little work was done), camshaft etc. Some say that why a proper ECU, exhaust manifold, you can reach and healthy 150bhp...

Cheers Bill, interesting how with ECU head work manifold etc only gives an extra 10bhp!!

One of the MG spares places I called about cam part numbers said he has seen lots of ex Elise engines from 135's with the same cams that came out of my std engine part number LGC 106970.

Still it has made the world of difference even without verniers :)

Earlier this year I fitted a pair of 135 cams for which I paid £100 off Gumtree,new boxed. I also fitted a pair of home made vernier pulleys. Timed using the Dva method. Each cam was 6 degrees out. I also cleaned up the original manifold, smoothed the spindle on a new 48mm t/b and a K&N air filter. I was pleasantly surprised by difference in power for a small outlay. I have it booked in on a local R/R this Friday .

Mac

Cheers Bill, interesting how with ECU head work manifold etc only gives an extra 10bhp!!

You need to consider the all output. Yes 10bhp at 6000/6500 rpm but more torque everywhere.

I went from piper 270 on std head, and found the engine kept going above 5000rpm but not much of a change under.... It was an improvement.

Then, the equivalent of head porting and it gave more torque everywhere, you can really feel a "power" bump up above 3500rpm.

But frankly, for a road car that goes sometime on track, your setup is possibly best value for money especially if you put a closer ratio gearbox.

there were 2 kits called 135:

-the MG (similar to the PTP) which was based around a cam swap only. It does 135/140 bhp

- the lotus which was also called Stage2 in the manual, motorsport XA.14.

the lotus kit came with a new head (a little work was done), camshaft etc. Some say that why a proper ECU, exhaust manifold, you can reach and healthy 150bhp...

the books I have on the elise both say the lotus sport 135 option had standard cams but a ported head, vvc plenum and different engine management.

IIRC standard cams have 9mm lift and 135 cams have 9.3mm lift. To measure the lift, take a set of verniers. Measure across the round part ( at 180 degrees from the pointy bit ) It should read around 30mm. Then measure the pointy bit from the back of the round bit. This should be around 39mm or so. Take one from the other for the lift.

I also have a feeling 2 x VVC exhaust cams used in a standard head will give good gains?

Yes, the vvc exhauxt cams are similar to the MG. I believe the profile is not far from the piper 255.

I was looking into this a few years ago but it meant cam shaft machining to fit the ignition rotor. In the end, if you haven't got access to precision machining facility cheap (they rarely got together), get a proper set of cam is the simpler solution

Yes, the vvc exhauxt cams are similar to the MG. I believe the profile is not far from the piper 255.

I was looking into this a few years ago but it meant cam shaft machining to fit the ignition rotor. In the end, if you haven't got access to precision machining facility cheap (they rarely got together), get a proper set of cam is the simpler solution

Bill, indeed you would need this on an S1. However on an S2 they should drop straight in?

Archived