litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Big Lotus Lmp2 Fire

chris_h

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I was a lad - I used to do marshalling at race tracks (Thruxton mostly) and we were always taught that dry powder would knock down a fire, but not cool it and it would quickly re-ignite - just like the video shows.  We were trained to go through the fire in a pair.  The first with a dry powder extinguisher to knock the fire down, then immediately followed by your buddy with CO2 to cool it down.  Looks like they don't do that any more.

Turn your back for 45 years and they change everything

Its looks like the fuel tank or fuel line spit as you see the puddles of fuel develop several times on the floor in the middle of the car that then ignite (once around the marshals feet!)

Pretty scary how poorly they dealt with it (especially as its the entrance of the pit lane).  It looks like its a race team that does most of it.

I was really looking forward to the release of this earlier in the year at Le Mans, but delays meant it didn't happen. It finally made its debut at the COTA 6 six hours. Except it wasn’t called a Lotus, it was called the CLM P1/01 and it wasn’t a “real” LMP1 car. It looked as though they’d just thrown an LMP1 engine in the Lotus T128 LMP2 body. As a result it was way behind the other LMP1/L Rebellion entry, which itself was way behind the works cars. Thoroughly disappointing sad.png

I hope they have more success going forward...................

Archived