litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Vhpd - Pros? And Cons?

Alex B

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know what I think. Completely std Vhpd with verniers and properly mapped Emerald ECU. It is what I have, gave 188bhp and is docile to drive on the road. Howls on full throttle. Starts, idles, passes mot etc. I have just fitted catch cans to avoid any lean running risk.

Without the Emerald and verniers my vhpd was unsafe, no power below 3k and lots of stumbles and surges. Now pulls 2krpm in 3rd and 4th.

You know what I think. Completely std Vhpd with verniers and properly mapped Emerald ECU. It is what I have, gave 188bhp and is docile to drive on the road. Howls on full throttle. Starts, idles, passes mot etc. I have just fitted catch cans to avoid any lean running risk.

Without the Emerald and verniers my vhpd was unsafe, no power below 3k and lots of stumbles and surges. Now pulls 2krpm in 3rd and 4th.

This sounds good to me!

I like the originality. If I had one I would want it beautifully balanced though, with a nice light flywheel so the throttle response was super sharp.

Wish my verniered VHPD with Emerald (mapped at Emerald) would pass MOTs sad.png

Made 198hp though smile.png

Agree with Dean, have it balanced and get a lighter flywheel on it - would be ace.

I may be lucky, no need to balance it. A lighter flywheel will make the balance more important though I they have a lightweight flywheel as standard?

The other essential is to have a spare vhpd in the garage. Insurance/investment.

The VHPD came with a lightened flywheel. However they were not as light as EP ones etc. The standard crank was tuftrided at PTP. However a standard crank balanced properly will be more than good enough. If your really lucky you may find a friend with a brand new one at the right price.     :)

Archived