litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Vhpd - Pros? And Cons?

Alex B

Simon if you want a standard k series s2 to go quicker round track start with tyres and suspension. There is loads of time in wider front and sticky tyres. Even more if you reduce the centre of gravity, roll and put some rake in to make the flat floor work a bit.

Arguably not as much fun as building a rootin' tootin' engine though..

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So the main reason for starting this topic was to see the differences between VHPD and other k series engines.

My current lump spec (although broke) is

EP lightened flywheel

VVC block (160 pistons)

633 solid cams

VVC plenum

52mm TB

Piper 4-2-1

EP exhaust.

Now the extent of damage isn't yet know so any decisions regards rebuild haven't been decided. However if I need to replace rods I will be looking at forged pistons while it's in bits (why not is thought im having)

However first action will be to source a spare VVC 160 lump to drop in for now.

It would be expensive all in one go. The beauty is you can do it in stages if the need grabs you    smile.png

True, but my motto on things mechanical, is if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Maybe I'm just unlucky, but I've found every time you make a change to something, it's likely you have teething troubles. Nowadays I don't upgrade anything (be it MTB, Scuba kit, cars) until the item I'm replacing has broken (or at least on it's last legs).

Better to rip the plaster off in one go ;)

So the main reason for starting this topic was to see the differences between VHPD and other k series engines.

My current lump spec (although broke) is

EP lightened flywheel

VVC block (160 pistons)

633 solid cams

VVC plenum

52mm TB

Piper 4-2-1

EP exhaust.

Now the extent of damage isn't yet know so any decisions regards rebuild haven't been decided. However if I need to replace rods I will be looking at forged pistons while it's in bits (why not is thought im having)

However first action will be to source a spare VVC 160 lump to drop in for now.

Sounds like a good plan Alex!

I guess once you have the car back on the road, you could send your current engine off to Dave Andrews, to get it to almost VHPD spec, given the already tasty parts you have.

Alex,

The advice is simple. If you must have more power go for an engine as stock as Rover made them, like a VVC. It will be more reliable and spares will never be a problem. You will be lucky to find a VHPD and if you do, the extra 30hp comes at a price. Not least spares and worry.

I thought you were buying a house, spend your money on that. Let oldies like me take the risk of a vhpd, I can send you a recording of it at wide open throttle, you can then enjoy it.

Alex,

The advice is simple. If you must have more power go for an engine as stock as Rover made them, like a VVC. It will be more reliable and spares will never be a problem. You will be lucky to find a VHPD and if you do, the extra 30hp comes at a price. Not least spares and worry.

I thought you were buying a house, spend your money on that. Let oldies like me take the risk of a vhpd, I can send you a recording of it at wide open throttle, you can then enjoy it.

Haha thanks for the offer Kieth! :)

It's not a case of more power at the moment it's a case of a working engine :(

Looks like i will be buying a replacement lump in the next week or so, then plan on rebuilding my broken one.

Alex with winter around the corner is there any sense in buying a spare engine for now ?

Why not just use the money to repair yours, most of the work is in taking the engine out and putting it back in !

Shout up if you need a hand with anything.

Alex with winter around the corner is there any sense in buying a spare engine for now ?

Why not just use the money to repair yours, most of the work is in taking the engine out and putting it back in !

Shout up if you need a hand with anything.

Possibly not, however if the car isn't back on the road i will loose interest with it all together.

Also Jody's dad has been for a look over it, and is of the opinion that it's not gone due to oil starvation alone as the bearing hasn't broken down in the way normally does when oil starvation is the key factor. So I want to get it completely stripped down and check everything, rebuilding it over however long it takes.

A fully rebuilt engine from Elisespares.com is just over £800. Or there is a selection of engines available from Maidstone sports cars.

A fully rebuilt engine from Elisespares.com is just over £800. Or there is a selection of engines available from Maidstone sports cars.

Confused, That's a fair chunk different from their website Alex.  (£1,400 for a 120, £1,700 for a 140,  £2,000 for a 160  all EX VAT).

It's from their eBay site, 850 for a Rebuilt VVC lump. 1300 fitted

Wow, that's a fair chunk different!  Reading the fine print the ebay one has just been checked and a new head gasket fitted.  The more expensive ones are fully rebuilt with new pistons / liners etc.

For your purposes I'm sure it will be fine.

Wow, that's a fair chunk different! Reading the fine print the ebay one has just been checked and a new head gasket fitted. The more expensive ones are fully rebuilt with new pistons / liners etc.

For your purposes I'm sure it will be fine.

That's more checks than if I was buying another Elise in all fairness.

Gotta ring Maidstone in the morning as they have a container full of engines on offer.

That's more checks than if I was buying another Elise in all fairness.

Gotta ring Maidstone in the morning as they have a container full of engines on offer.

Looking at the money MSC asked for the other items they advertised on Seloc it looks like they are having a clear out. Prices for manifolds,suspension etc were very reasonable, so you may well get a bargain smile.png

Looking at the money MSC asked for the other items they advertised on Seloc it looks like they are having a clear out. Prices for manifolds,suspension etc were very reasonable, so you may well get a bargain smile.png

Yeah I saw that, will be giving them a ring on my lunch break.

• 9 months later...

Archived