litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Vhpd - Pros? And Cons?

Alex B

Alex, playing devils advocate for a sec... (We'd all like to spend your money)

I honestly think as long as yours is repairable, I'd get it fixed and enjoy the car for a bit.

Get some (relatively) worry free track time, learn what you can, then make an informed decision from a "known good" starting point.

It can't have been easy for you going from a 120bhp K, to a 190bhp 'Yota, to an S1, all very different characteristics, and ultimately we all need to settle in to a car to advance ourselves (unless of course you are the Stig and you never told us ;) ).

This is generally the plan of action, if mines a financially viable repair then it will be repaired.

Just merely asking a question

As for going from car to car.

I feel more at home in the S1 than I ever did in the S2 111r.

And if the s2 rover k have been to a similar geo setup then it would have been on par with S1

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is generally the plan of action, if mines a financially viable repair then it will be repaired.

Just merely asking a question

As for going from car to car.

I feel more at home in the S1 than I ever did in the S2 111r.

And if the s2 rover k have been to a similar geo setup then it would have been on par with S1

I guess for financial planning purposes, a completely recon 160 engine is £2k +VAT. You'd get a warranty and something fairly reliable.

I'd have thought a used VHPD, with questionable heritage would cost more.

http://elise-spares.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=194.

Alex, what was the problem with yours in the end? No pun big ended.

My lardy s2 makes 165 - 170 with the air con on and feet in the carpets. I ain't the fastest but it's reliable. My point is that spend the money on getting it reliable, setup well and get driver trained. Don't chase the power just yet.

A well set up light car with a good driver will be much faster. Just look at Jodie and Ålans cars.

Vhpd is a modified head, throttle bodies, ecu and stronger bottom end. Not to mention the aggressive cams. You need to get a reliable engine and just have some fun.

Alex, what was the problem with yours in the end? No pun big ended.

My lardy s2 makes 165 - 170 with the air con on and feet in the carpets. I ain't the fastest but it's reliable. My point is that spend the money on getting it reliable, setup well and get driver trained. Don't chase the power just yet.

A well set up light car with a good driver will be much faster. Just look at Jodie and Ålans cars.

Vhpd is a modified head, throttle bodies, ecu and stronger bottom end. Not to mention the aggressive cams. You need to get a reliable engine and just have some fun.

Mine made 155 bang on before going pop and Im more than happy with the output. I never mentioned chasing figures, if one came up or mine isn't salvageable it could be an option. However so is buying another 160lump.

When I built my VHPD, I balanced the whole crank train (crank, con rods, pistons, damper), ported the head, cams, ported the oil pump and block galleries, set the liners right etc etc and it was bombproof. Did a season sprinting and then went on to do many track days after me. Made 216hp at 8000rpm. Never had an issue.

Saying that, when I built it, it had 60k miles and the main bearings were completely shot - looked like crushed rice crispies! 

Run it on an Emerald will really help.

Matt, good point. Proper balancing will improve any engine. For the 200 - 300 pounds it costs its a no brainer. Mine was done at vibration free.

I also fitted a set of stiffer engine mounts as well. There is probably less vibration now than before. It also revs to 8K for fun     :)

I love threads like these. Wintthat's throwaway line about when people start taking Hondas out is casual genius. I also agree with Jamie that we should all look to Alan and Jodie's s1s as examples of fast lightweights - just don't look at Jodie!!

Sorry mate! only joking! if it's any consolation there's no argument with the fast bit....

being serious for a moment, isn't the main advantage with a vhpd the head casing with better and bigger ports etc? and isn't the vvc head casing very similar in that respect?

In other words Alex already has the raw materials to build a vhpd equivalent mill, does he not?

I don't know about vhpd bottom ends - are they different from stock?

Would stock crank and rods be ok to 8 grand if balanced properly?

Light flywheels and pulleys might be a good idea of course and forged pistons if you ard going over 160 horses....

ps if Jody goes on a diet I will need a vhpd

VHPD has forged pistons and I think that's about it bottom wise.  Makes the power due to the cams and trumpets. I think your correct about the head being similar to vvc.

AL good luck with the fix and I think your correct to keep your options open.

The VHPD flywheel is a bit lighter than the standard item. The crank was also tufrided by PTP for supposedly better wear properties ( a standard crank will do if balanced properly ). It has a standard crank pulley ( machine the aircon bit off ) The VHPD came with an MS2 head ( VVC will flow the same except at extreme porting )

You will struggle to get an MS2 and no my spare is not for sale ( not really needed to get 200+ )

So from the technical side, if I understand correctly.

VVC with no mechanism, but bigger cams + forged pistons and lighter fly wheel gives you *almost* a VHPD?

And from a non technical side, what would I need to keep up with Jodie, or even Russell ;)

So from the technical side, if I understand correctly.

VVC with no mechanism, but bigger cams + forged pistons and lighter fly wheel gives you *almost* a VHPD?

Dont forget the head porting and throttle bodies, also rods bushed to convert to fully floating is a good idea. Also you will need mechanical tappets if going for wild cams. Talking of cams the 1444 are the dogs danglies far better than the VHPD standard. Pull a lot better across the rev range.

Dont forget the head porting and throttle bodies, also rods bushed to convert to fully floating is a good idea. Also you will need mechanical tappets if going for wild cams. Talking of cams the 1444 are the dogs danglies far better than the VHPD standard. Pull a lot better across the rev range.

Starting to sound expensive... think I'll stick with my standard 120, had more than enough fun @ Blyton :D

Archived