litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Vhpd - Pros? And Cons?

Alex B

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't have a stock one (mine is Scholar Evo 2, 1.9 with about 220bhp) but it's a fantastic tractable unit Alex. Mine doesn't burn oil, isn't gutless or peaky and at 8000rpm sounds like a wailing banshee! That said, I'm always tuned in to new sounds, proving that the naysayers on SELOC have eroded any confidence I may have had in my engine. Apart from the crap standard Titan TB's on my car, it's proven to be a reliable mill. I now have Jenvey TBs, and it's just sweet!

I assume you're contemplating a rebuild to VHPD spec?

I don't have a stock one (mine is Scholar Evo 2, 1.9 with about 220bhp) but it's a fantastic tractable unit Alex. Mine doesn't burn oil, isn't gutless or peaky and at 8000rpm sounds like a wailing banshee! That said, I'm always tuned in to new sounds, proving that the naysayers on SELOC have eroded any confidence I may have had in my engine. Apart from the crap standard Titan TB's on my car, it's proven to be a reliable mill. I now have Jenvey TBs, and it's just sweet!

I assume you're contemplating a rebuild to VHPD spec?

Just ideas at the moment, would possibly look at buying a complete unit.

Have found the fault with mine just not the extent of the damage yet.

Now by built properly you mean not built by rover/lotus?

The ones in S1 Exiges, 340R etc were built by PTP. The ones in the S2 Sport 190 were built in house at Lotus. None were built by Rover. The early ones had a habit of grenading.

The S2 Sport 190 had a far better reputation although this was from a very small sample ( 34? ) Mine lasted 50K before a rebuild and a LOT of trackdays ( most by the first owner )

The only problem i had was an indented head ( caused by poor cooling IMO ) I am going to sort this by adding an electric water pump this winter.

Mine makes just over 190 bhp and 150 lb/ft of torque. This could be improved by some 42mm TB,s as opposed to the current 40mm and some proper trumpets ( unequal length ) However its not that easy on an S2 due to the boot catch.

With 1444 cams and the rest it should be easyish to get 210 bhp and good torque that will be reliable. I was having a chat with DVA today about this very subject    :)

The ones in S1 Exiges, 340R etc were built by PTP. The ones in the S2 Sport 190 were built in house at Lotus. None were built by Rover. The early ones had a habit of grenading.

The S2 Sport 190 had a far better reputation although this was from a very small sample ( 34? ) Mine lasted 50K before a rebuild and a LOT of trackdays ( most by the first owner )

The only problem i had was an indented head ( caused by poor cooling IMO ) I am going to sort this by adding an electric water pump this winter.

Mine makes just over 190 bhp and 150 lb/ft of torque. This could be improved by some 42mm TB,s as opposed to the current 40mm and some proper trumpets ( unequal length ) However its not that easy on an S2 due to the boot catch.

With 1444 cams and the rest it should be easyish to get 210 bhp and good torque that will be reliable. I was having a chat with DVA today about this very subject :)

What exactly would go bang on them?

Head gasket? Or slightly more terminal than that?

As Martin says S2 VHPD is a different beast than the S1. Much smoother and less clattery and not as lumpy at tickerover but still has character.

Mine is a standard VHPD (i.e. PTP built) but has timed verniers and an Emerald with a proper map. It's pretty ropey sounding at tickover, with lots of lovely piston slap and has a nice lumpy idle, however it pulls fine all the way up to 7800 with no flat spots. At Emerald with the standard exhaust and no CAT it made 198 hp and 146 torques, with a CAT fitted and remapped it made 194 and 144.

It sounds awesome on full song. I know the Honda S2 is massively more powerful but the VHPD has bags more character and in many ways is more fun to drive. You feel like you can get close to its limits and still feel in control. When I'm close to the limits of the S2 it feels like I'm going to die.

There was quite a lot of piston slap when cold on my 50K one. It went once it was warm. There is only a small amount when cold on the rebuilt one.

This is normal for forged pistons due to the bigger tolerances because they expand more as they warm up.

My vhpd on my S1 Exige is a pussy cat now it has verniers and an Emerald with mapping. It really is good to drive and much better than the standard product. I keep the revs down to about 7.5 as the power is falling off then, it made 188 on the dyno and is otherwise standard and has a cat. I do worry about if blowing up and have a spare vhpd in the garage. I think of it as a good insurance policy. If I never need it I will be happy and I can sell it when people start removing honda engines.

It is not as fast as my NA s2 Exige but does make a sound to die for. I have had no problem with the throttles, they are butterflies and not titan rollers.

It will be at Oulton Park with bookatrack on the 18th....

Alex, playing devils advocate for a sec... (We'd all like to spend your money)

I honestly think as long as yours is repairable, I'd get it fixed and enjoy the car for a bit.

Get some (relatively) worry free track time, learn what you can, then make an informed decision from a "known good" starting point.

It can't have been easy for you going from a 120bhp K, to a 190bhp 'Yota, to an S1, all very different characteristics, and ultimately we all need to settle in to a car to advance ourselves (unless of course you are the Stig and you never told us ;) ).

Cranks can crack too but a lot does depend how they are used and maintained.

I loved the lumpy character but was always worried that it may go bang. It never did.

Swapped it out for a K20a which has much more power but part of me wishes I'd not gone chasing power and left it in.

Alex, playing devils advocate for a sec... (We'd all like to spend your money)

I honestly think as long as yours is repairable, I'd get it fixed and enjoy the car for a bit.

Get some (relatively) worry free track time, learn what you can, then make an informed decision from a "known good" starting point.

It can't have been easy for you going from a 120bhp K, to a 190bhp 'Yota, to an S1, all very different characteristics, and ultimately we all need to settle in to a car to advance ourselves (unless of course you are the Stig and you never told us wink.png ).

Alex - Listen to these wise words in the quote.

Also where do you think you will get your hands on a VHPD engine? 

Get yourself a low mileage 160 engine, swap over your new bits and off you go and learn what a S1 can really do.

Archived