litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

What Would A Lotus Suv Look Like?

P4N Lotus

Ever since the new Lotus boss hinted at Lotus making an SUV, Ive been wondering what one might look like? Logically you'd think if this was to happen they would be using a frame and body from one of the Protons, and found that Lotus had been engineering a 2015 production car called the Proton T5 and Proton MSX and both were SUVs. Naturally you might think styling would resemble current range Lotus but they would probably redesign the shell. 

I was bored so knocked up a couple of dodgy sloppy examples in photoshop, not my best work but might give people an idea of how it might look, and maybe will influence others out there with more time to render something better.

In my mind kinda like a Cayenne or a Mazda 3...making me wonder would people really choose a Lotus SUV over the porshe cayenne, jaguar cX17, land rover evoque, mini paceman?  unless it was faster, lighter and cheaper?

post-3948-0-68127700-1412200179_thumb.jpg

post-3948-0-86323700-1412200201_thumb.jpg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pie in the sky.

Porsche got away with it (mainly in the States) due to the brands upmarket aspirational brand, and the perceived reliability over Range Rover (which are seen as highly unreliable over there)

Lotus need the elusive Elise v.next, plus an outstanding Esprit style halo car, before they tackle Cayennes or Rr sports and get anywhere near the premium those cars can command.

Rebranded proton suv, will be like the proton gti in terms of sales... Great :(

Lotus built a crossover and showed it at the 2006 Geneva Motor Show.

It was called the Lotus APX (Aluminium Performance Crossover) and had a Lotus designed 3 litre Supercharges engine rated at 300bhp/360NM with four wheel drive, based on the VVA chassis architecture. I have seen this car at Hethel and it was very presentable.

Substitute the engine with the 3.5 litreToyota unit, which is already coupled to 4 wheel drive in the Lexus RX range and it could be done relatively easily.

Some people need more than two fairly cramped seats and it might just take off.

2865682507_60ea12bfc0.jpg

http://www.lotuscars.com/gb/engineering/case-study-apx

Substitute the engine with the 3.5 litreToyota unit, which is already coupled to 4 wheel drive in the Lexus RX range and it could be done relatively easily.

But which Diesel lump would you put in it ?  Without one Lotus would struggle, the biggest selling SUVs in the EU are oil burners. Even Porker have given in :(

The Renault/Nissan V6 diesel found in the Laguna V6/ Navara V6 is good for 300BHP, so could work... other than BMW, VAG or JLR stuff (who have a vested interest in not selling Lotus an engine for a competitive product) I'm struggling to think of another modern-ish diesel engine they could use.

But which Diesel lump would you put in it ?  Without one Lotus would struggle, the biggest selling SUVs in the EU are oil burners. Even Porker have given in sad.png

The Renault/Nissan V6 diesel found in the Laguna V6/ Navara V6 is good for 300BHP, so could work... other than BMW, VAG or JLR stuff (who have a vested interest in not selling Lotus an engine for a competitive product) I'm struggling to think of another modern-ish diesel engine they could use.

Good point - but diesel may not be the future. DieseI engines are usually a lot heavier than petrol which could be counter productive to the concept of a lightweight crossover/SUV. I believe that JLR still use the Ford/PSA diesel units from Dagenham so that could be a possibility.

Manufacturer joint projects are becoming the norm which is why the new Mercedes A180CDi uses the Renault/Nissan 1.5 diesel.

I hear that many existing large diesels are struggling with next round of emissions standards, and that "lean burn" petrol is back on the agenda.

Then there is always hybrid, in which Lotus have some expertise.

Good point - but diesel may not be the future. DieseI engines are usually a lot heavier than petrol which could be counter productive to the concept of a lightweight crossover/SUV. I believe that JLR still use the Ford/PSA diesel units from Dagenham so that could be a possibility.

Manufacturer joint projects are becoming the norm which is why the new Mercedes A180CDi uses the Renault/Nissan 1.5 diesel.

I hear that many existing large diesels are struggling with next round of emissions standards, and that "lean burn" petrol is back on the agenda.

Then there is always hybrid, in which Lotus have some expertise.

You are completely right. I suspect diesels as we know them are probably going to be replaced. Especially if Boris gets his way with the congestion charges.

One thing that's going to cause a problem in the not too distant future is particulates from lean burning GDi engines, they are much smaller than diesel particles, and so penetrate human lungs more sad.png

TBH I would like to see Lotus build either an i8 competitor, or a "replacement" for the now defunct Tesla Roadster.  Which obviously they have huge experience with.

In fairness I am biased as I have a Tesla Model S, and it truly is a remarkable car. Even more so considering it comes from a company only set up a few years ago, with no "heritage" to fall back on for sales, or production experience, the Model S fit and finish is remarkably good (nearly Merc. levels), and the whole thing is beautifully thought through.

Rumors on the Tesla forums are the Lotus / Tesla partnership didn't end on a good note, mainly down to fit and finish issues.

I know I've been negative on the whole Lotus company situation, but maybe I've ended up having unrealistic expectations of how a car company should operate, and ultimately what I wish Lotus could achieve if they truly had a visionary leader with both an eye for quality, and clear product vision....

I will bring my Model S to the next FLEM event, let you all have a look round and hopefully you will see what I mean.

• 2 months later...

Archived