litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

A (Potential) Visit To The Battle Of Britain Memorial Flight.

KurtB

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. Leigh

2. Russell?

3. Reg (Rich)

4. Andrew

5. Mandy

6. Martin (MSH)

7.Richard

8.Sue

I'm out as just realised my daughter has a doctors appointment at 4. I've added Russell in my place. Have fun.

I would love to have come - but am already committed to going to Cosford on Thursday to examine an old Bloodhound missile (It is heavier than they think it should be, concerned it is live !) 

Good to see you have a full house, but if anything like this ever comes up again - I will be first on the list.

Kurt - congrats on providing this wonderful opportunity and good luck in "Civvy street"

We've had the nod! When I'm child free tonight I will request that you send me the following details via email.

Full name, Car Make, Model and Year.

I'll remind you that you will need formal identification and be able to get to Coningsby for 2:15pm. Further details later folks.

Finally, if there are up to 2 more people, I'll extend it to ten people....

Cheers,

Kurt. :)

OK The list is this and thats final:

1. Leigh

2. Russell
3. Reg (Rich)
4. Andrew
5. Mandy
6. Martin (MSH)
7. Richard
8. Sue

9. Greg

10. Ali

11. Elaine

As I alluded to earlier, I need the following from you. (I've used myself as an example)

Full Name: Kurt John Barker

Car Make: Lotus

Model: Exige

Year: 2000

Formal Identity type: e.g Passport/Drivers licence

If you'd rather send that info via email, feel free. My email is [email protected]

If you don't come in your Lotus, then it's not a game changer, it'd just be a nice memorable thing to do. There is no photographer, so if one of you has a camera and knows how to use it, I welcome your input. There is a 50/50 chance of having an aeroplane anyway, because BBMF's flying season is over and work started today on stripping the aeroplanes for their winter service.

We will meet and greet at 2:15pm at the Battle Of Britain Memorial Flight Visitor Centre Car Park, the signs are clear in Coningsby village. Just stay with your car and when we're all together, we'll go in convoy to RAF Coningsby's Guardroom. There you will show your identity, have a photograph taken, and get a car pass. We'll then move on in our cars to BBMF, and park up. I'll run in, let them know we're here book us in and I'll come back out to brief you on the usual H&S stuff. 

I will talk for a couple of hours on development of the fighter aircraft (I'm told it's not as dull as it sounds!), show you the differing construction techniques of the Hurricane and Spitfire, show you how much the Spitfire changed in its life, we'll have a look at the Lancaster and a quick nod to the Dakota and Chipmunks. Photo time and then leave the station. On Exit from the station, there is a fairly sinister surface mounted reverse spike system that prevents aggressive entry to the unit. I've been over them in the Exige and they will thump the underside of your car, but they haven't damaged my Exige. Just drive s-l-o-w-l-y and keep going forwards!!! You may want to consider this Leigh... ;-)

I'll have to race off to pick up my girl, so won't be able to stick around, but welcome your feedback on here. 

If there are any questions, please fire away. I need the above info soonest please, it's a courtesy to our hosts and will be asked for at the Guardroom.

I hope you all enjoy it and drink it all in.

Kind Regards,

Kurt

Details sent.

On Exit from the station, there is a fairly sinister surface mounted reverse spike system that prevents aggressive entry to the unit. I've been over them in the Exige and they will thump the underside of your car, but they haven't damaged my Exige. Just drive s-l-o-w-l-y and keep going forwards!!! You may want to consider this Leigh... ;-)

Sounds scary!! Why don't the teeth grab hold of the ducts in the undertray? I've damaged the S2 quite badly on one of these before.

Archived