litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Hi, And Does Anyone Know This Elan?

Mne666

Hi chaps

This is my first post , I live in Cheshire and I'm looking for a m100 elan.

Just wondering if anyone knows the elan in the pics below? Does it look like it's sitting a bit high to anyone? I'm thinking of going to have a look.

Thanks

Matt post-5386-140898935725_thumb.jpgpost-5386-140898936709_thumb.jpg

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome Matt.

I just wondered why you'd decided on one of these when there are so many better "real" Lotuses out there.  This is a front engined, front wheel drive car after all, and what really gets the adrenalin flowing is a mid-engined, rear wheel drive car!!  The M100's only saving grace was having styling input from Peter Stevens.

Be interesting to see what you think though :-))

Cheers,

Eric

Having an M100 and an Elise in the family for a number of years, I can say that I gained a lot of appreciation for the FWD Front engined turbo'd Isuzu engine Lotus. Quite fun to drive, an absolute demon in the corners with less weight transfer going on than in the Elise, and a proper drop top roof.

I used it as my daily drive for about 8 months whilst my Elise was waiting for its DVA rebuild, and it really grew on me.

We even did a Walshy day together and whilst I was pirouetting the Elise, my Dad's Elan was just zipping round the courses. So I took a few goes and couldn't believe how well the darn thing handled.

(Welcome to MLOC by the way Matt)

:-)

Welcome Matt.

I just wondered why you'd decided on one of these when there are so many better "real" Lotuses out there.  This is a front engined, front wheel drive car after all, and what really gets the adrenalin flowing is a mid-engined, rear wheel drive car!!  The M100's only saving grace was having styling input from Peter Stevens.

Be interesting to see what you think though :-))

Cheers,

Eric

And to be fair, it does not look as good as the Elise.

Welcome Matt.

I just wondered why you'd decided on one of these when there are so many better "real" Lotuses out there.  

I'm sure there are many Lotus owners who think exactly that about Exiges......rolleyes.gif

I'm sure there are many Lotus owners who think exactly that about Exiges......rolleyes.gif

harhar.gif

I'm temped to ask how you can be "sure" that "many" Lotus owners don't think that an Exige is real Lotus.

If, say, there are several thousand Lotus owners, then "many" would be at least half of these; say two thousand.  So, if you have evidence of having asked at least two thousand Lotus owners about their Exige views, and had feedback that confirms your assertion, then I would politely suggest that you keep your obviously biased opinions to yourself.

harhar.gif

I'm temped to ask how you can be "sure" that "many" Lotus owners don't think that an Exige is real Lotus.

If, say, there are several thousand Lotus owners, then "many" would be at least half of these; say two thousand.  So, if you have evidence of having asked at least two thousand Lotus owners about their Exige views, and had feedback that confirms your assertion, then I would politely suggest that you keep your obviously biased opinions to yourself.

Ok, if you're going to argue. There are many people who don't think any Lotus car made after Colin Chapman's death is a 'real' Lotus. (I'm not one of them). I gained this information by speaking to owners and reading magazine articles over the past 25 years. :)

Not quite sure why you would think I am biased against Exiges, bizarre! I would suggest that it's you who needs to keep their biased opinions to yourself. As you've just told a new member to the forum that the Lotus model they are looking to buy isn't a real Lotus and there are better cars out there. rolleyes.gif  

mmm....

I was going to argue....but as its obvious that Eric has never driven an M100...theres no point...

IIRC it was done by Lotus to prove a point......

theyre a great car and very undervalued......

I went to have a look at the car, but on the end lack of knowledge of the type stopped me buying it. I know my other classic inside out but I realised that the car has been sitting for over a year and I just don't know enough about it's weak points.

It also sits really high which made

It look awful up close

I don't have big knowledge about Lotus really as well, but mine was sitting for a year too before I got it, and it is super reliable today, so I don't it should really something to be afraid of.

We run an m100 s2 as a summer runaround. They're a fantastic underrated sports car. It's our second (previous SE). For sure, it's different, but it feels special and that makes it a real Lotus. We also run an M3 and a 340R, I think this means I'm qualified to comment. The point is that changing from one car to another, they all feel a bit weird and dare I say , lacking initially. However, after a short time behind the wheel, and the Elan is very much included in this, they all make me realise just what a fantastic car they are and why we own them. A properly cared for M100 is a worthy addition to any collection and to dismiss it because it is FWD is just plain wrong. Open your eyes!

Archived