litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Oil Catch Cans Working

chris_h

So I emptied my oil catch cans for the first time. 2500 miles and there was nearly 2 cm of oil in one of them. The second was still empty (think jonnyfox said his was the same).

Looks like it was a good investment to stop the oil feeding back into the air intake/throttle body.image.jpg

image.jpg

Oh and yes that is my lad in the boot.

image.jpg

He was helping me fit the engine cover and supercharger plate from the exige v6 (rather than the heavy stupidly over engineered one that comes with the evora.)

image.jpg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://radiumauto.com/media/techarticle-page.php?Product-Insight-Radium-Oil-Catch-Cans-83

This link explains it better than me (including pictures).

Essentially all engines create positive pressure caused by crank case blow-by as piston rigs don't seal 100%, when this air is vented it is hot and oil saturated. In normal cars this is fed back into the air intake side of the throttle body.

In all race cars it is collected instead, so that the air entering the engine isn't mixed with oil. When I took the throttle body off my old exige there was a puddle of oil over 1cm deep in the air intake manifold. Also my throttle body was getting a bit gunked up as dirt was sticking to the oil causing the throttle to stick slightly.

Supercharged engines are even worse as the compression levels are higher, so I decided to fit this from new. All engines would benefit from it, but manufacturers know people wouldn't empty them on normal cars.

Archived