litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Help----Elise S2...is It Right For Me?

Truly Skint

Hi, just sold my Westfield after 6 years of ownership. Looking for something a little more refined but with similar performance ie: 190BHP or above. I only want it for road use and don't want something that I have to mess with ie:  drive, clean, garage

I am considering Toyota powered Elise or VX220 T. Wondered whether there was anyone who has experienced both or lives local to me who would be prepared to chat / share views. Low miles a must

Is a Lotus right for me? I've heard bad gearboxes, expensive when they go wrong which tends to be quite often? I am a firm believer that if you treat it right it will look after you but interested to get your views

Thanks in advance

Mike

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mike, welcome to MLOC     smile.png   I have removed your phone number as its an open forum. Im sure anyone with advice will send you a message via PM on here or via this thread of course. I have a 190 K which is not for you if you do not want to mess with it a fair bit.

What about Orange 111R in the classified section.

Eddie.

Shame less plug there Eddie!

Have to say though eddies car would make a beautiful purchase.

Don't believe all you hear about lotus. The Toyota cars have their niggles as do rover k cars, but both can be cracking motors,

Having owned a handful I'd say the Toyota cars are by far the easiest get in a drive cars.

Don't believe all you hear about lotus. The Toyota cars have their niggles as do rover k cars, but both can be cracking motors,

Having owned a handful I'd say the Toyota cars are by far the easiest get in a drive cars.

Please share "the niggles"

What about Orange 111R in the classified section.

Eddie.

I agree, beautiful car but unfortunately way out of my budget at the moment

Its was worth a try :)   busted_cop.gif

Please share "the niggles"

I agree, beautiful car but unfortunately way out of my budget at the moment

By niggles I mean stuff like the roofs leak if not adjusted correctly, etc etc

Little things that all add to the character of owning a lotus. Where abouts are you based?

Hi Mike,

I'm a complete newbie here, but it sounds like

you're keen to get value for money.That was

me also. I'm happy with 118bhp/750kg.

If you're coming from a 600kg car, and wanting 180 Bhp, I'm not sure you're going to get close to the performance you're used to without going to a Honda engined Elise possibly.

What is your spec sheet of wants I wonder..

Are you trying to get away from poor weather protection, rawness , lack of safety.

Have you considered a full bodied kit car, like

The Fury/Phoenix maybe ? Jeremy Phillips derived cars are competently designed kits

most say. Buy finished/part completed,cheaper.

The vx220 is rare but good value bang for buck

Too ?

:-)

Mike the truth is all Elises and vx220s are generally reliable. The k series engined cars do suffer head gasket failure which is an £800 fix but the new type gaskets pretty much solve the problem.

You won't easily get the acceleration you have with your Westfield but an Elise will carry more speed in the turns and will handle a little better I expect. I doubt you would be disappointed.

If you look after the car, and it has a good history, there is no reason it will not be reliable, i use mine sa daily, never had a problem, a mate does the same, but for years, never had a problem as well. 

I'm currently driving the unreliable K series through Europe, I'm looking at the eiffel tower as I type this ;)

Heading back to UK now, having done 2000+ miles, to Monaco circuit via stelvio.

Best car ever... Buy one. Sorry but the badge tax IS worth it over the vx.

driving round the montecarlo circuit I was constantly being photographed, despite the much more expensive (yet common) machinery.

I used to have an S2 exige s, and even the 120bhp in my early K is enough for huge smiles, yet still capable of crossing Europe in a way the Exige couldn't.

will I go honda.. Maybe, but it won't make the car any better apart from the odd time a modern hatchback beats me away from the lights then I get stuck behind them at the twisties..

I'm currently driving the unreliable K series through Europe, I'm looking at the eiffel tower as I type this ;)

Heading back to UK now, having done 2000+ miles, to Monaco circuit via stelvio.

Best car ever... Buy one. Sorry but the badge tax IS worth it over the vx.

driving round the montecarlo circuit I was constantly being photographed, despite the much more expensive (yet common) machinery.

I used to have an S2 exige s, and even the 120bhp in my early K is enough for huge smiles, yet still capable of crossing Europe in a way the Exige couldn't.

will I go honda.. Maybe, but it won't make the car any better apart from the odd time a modern hatchback beats me away from the lights then I get stuck behind them at the twisties..

True words are these!

You can get fettled k series with a reliable 180-200 horses. However the 240 horse Honda is pretty great and has a better box.

There are lots of choices so you need to try a few to see what suits you rather than us ;)

Archived