litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

S1 Suspension Improvement/upgrade Options

Sundaydriver

Thanks Dean. I'm thinking of using a local Motorsport company to fit & geo, and if I go

Nitron route will collect them from Witney, ie Nitron themselves, so I'll take advice from them,

they seem quite Elise aware and one of the guys there runs an S1.

I think the spring rate is the main issue as regards how compliant the car will be. I don't want a buzzy spine wrenching ride, and I'm not keen on lowering her more than a few mm, as that might affect bump steer, steering feel and subtle feedback is surely a big part of the Elise DNA right ?

PS- I'll ask whoever sorts this to check out bush ball joint and toe link condition etc, so if needs be, the job can be done in one hit. Take your point,silly to keep going back for geo...

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for asking the questions I have too Dave. I'm looking forward to seeing what you end up with ! David

Hi David, perhaps we should compare notes between our two cars, though yours is about half my mileage I think !

Thanks Dean. I'm thinking of using a local Motorsport company to fit & geo, and if I go

Nitron route will collect them from Witney, ie Nitron themselves, so I'll take advice from them,

I think the spring rate is the main issue as regards how compliant the car will be. I don't want a buzzy spine wrenching ride, and I'm not keen on lowering her more than a few mm, as that might affect bump steer, steering feel and subtle feedback is surely a big part of the Elise DNA right ?

PS- I'll ask whoever sorts this to check out bush ball joint and toe link condition etc, so if needs be, the job can be done in one hit. Take your point,silly to keep going back for geo...

Sounds like a perfect plan. Make sure you sit in it when they geo it so it is optimised for when you are alone in the car. Have them corner weight it too - although any decent race team will do this anyway. I always think about 12 litres of fuel is a good compromise, and don't have your boot full of rammel!

Let us know how you get on would you? It would be interesting to know the weight as well.

Have you thought about the nitron Hoffman route? Randy at hoffman is a very helpfull chap and knows his stuff.

Hoffman differ to normal nitrons in the valving used. Nitron 2/1 bump to rebound vs Hoffmanns 1/1.

Price wise they are they same if purchased new I believe.

I'm running Hoffman's

Front: 500lbs +150lbs helpers

Rears: 700lbs +150lbs helpers

And in all honesty they are a little too stuff for road use and I will be changing to 500rear and 400 front as suggested by randy at Hoffmanns.

Not sure if this helps David, but I have Nitrons with Eibach springs, with spring rates of 350 front, 400 rear, on my S160. Perfect for fast road use, compliant but very controlled - and I have no doubt it would be great on track too. I have a sensible ride height too, haven't measured it but it just 'looks' right.

Several pics in my 'Garage' on here, I'll measure the ride height if it helps - http://www.midlandslotus.co.uk/forum/garage/vehicle/814-s1-elise-sport-160/

Not sure if this helps David, but I have Nitrons with Eibach springs, with spring rates of 350 front, 400 rear, on my S160. Perfect for fast road use, compliant but very controlled - and I have no doubt it would be great on track too. I have a sensible ride height too, haven't measured it but it just 'looks' right.

Several pics in my 'Garage' on here, I'll measure the ride height if it helps - http://www.midlandslotus.co.uk/forum/garage/vehicle/814-s1-elise-sport-160/

That car looks stunning in black !

I'm still not decided, but it's good to hear you're happy with the Nitrons, and I'm thinking those

Spring rates sound about right for me.

Pot hole compliance probably good I'd guess !

Thanks to above 'poster' for link to Quantums, they look like a bargain. I think I'd sooner buy a set with a guarantee, and pretty much decided against Quantums as manufacturer is a distance away.

I'm noticing the car is troubled by pot holes, and as I'm getting braver it's not staying so flat on

the bends. That's pointing to worn shocks, and

Or springs I'd guess. Perhaps I need to bite the bullet soon !

I'd recommend standard rubber bushes if you need them. Nylatron etc aren't worth the hassle.

Agree with Steve here, mine has poly bushes/nitron bushings in and does make it a touch harder. If they hadn't been on when I got the car I personally wouldn't have bothered.

I have gone down the S2 Bilsen route. Must admit I haven't had anything to complain about.

I may be mistaken but you could very easily find yourself in my position (just a few years later). What I am saying is you could find a lot more 'mods' on your car and a lot less cash in the bank if you are that way inclined Still, I have never looked back.

I have gone down the S2 Bilsen route. Must admit I haven't had anything to complain about.

I may be mistaken but you could very easily find yourself in my position (just a few years later). What I am saying is you could find a lot more 'mods' on your car and a lot less cash in the bank if you are that way inclined Still, I have never looked back.

Too right, the stock car is pretty capable I'd guess. Upgrades will be chosen wisely and with much teeth grinding :-)

I'm now prioritising new brake discs, as a track day is pencilled in. Front discs a bit ridged. A good time to renew discs and pads

I think.

Archived